Thursday, June 30, 2011

I "Heart" Pizza Flavored Breakfast Muffins ala Kalyn's Kitchen



I was very intrigued last week, when I saw the recipe for these little gems.  First, they call for a couple of interesting ingredients not normally found in a muffin (at least my muffins).  First is Cottage Cheese.  I read a lot of blogs, but this was the first time I had seen cottage cheese as a muffin idea.  Then, just a few days ago, Mary from One Perfect Bite (one of my very favorite blogs) wrote a post for ROLLS with the self same Cottage Cheese also as an ingredient.  So, OK, two posts in a week... Let's call it a sign.


I found this recipe on eRecipeCards.com.  


Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen submitted it as a Recipe for "Pizza-Flavored Breakfast Muffins with Pepperoni, Mozzarella, Parmesan, and Oregano".  Kalyn is not a blogger I read daily, so I took advantage of the interesting recipe to get to know her.  Her "About" page was fascinating... the heading "How I lost 42 pounds and became a food blogger" certainly is eye catching.  Her key to weight lose is the South Beach Diet.  I admire anyone capable of losing weight, but especially a talented cook who is able to do it and keep it off.  SO many great recipes, so little time to shovel it in.


I was also fascinated by a detail that Kalyn dropped.  She is now retired, working as a full time food blogger! Some day we must have coffee and discuss how she did it.  Congrats on that dream come true.


I also looked over her archives for a bit.  She has a huge body of work, blogging in her 7th year now.  Great photos, most diet friendly and worthy of a look.  Kalyn, I'll be back!




Here's my take on her recipe (of course I changed a few ingredients, so consider the recipe "inspired by" her original post...


Oh, and don't you wish you had a heart shaped muffin pan... Garage sale find, for $1!


1/2 cup Cottage Cheese, rinsed, drained
1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 cup Almond Meal
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Italian Seasonings
1 tsp "Big Easy in a Jar", Cajun Seasoning
4 eggs, beaten
3 TBS Water
1/2 cup Pepperoni pieces (I cut regular pepperoni slices into 4ths)
1/2 cup diced Mozzarella Cheese

  1. Strain the Cottage Cheese, rinse and let drain
  2. Preheat oven to 400 F
  3. Mix all the ingredients in the order listed
  4. Be sure to spray your non-stick pans for this recipe.  the mozzarella will melt and stick  (learned this the hard way).
  5. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
And I loved them.  Kalyn advertises hers as a breakfast muffin, but I made mine for lunch.  We are getting ready for a long drive (4th of July with the in-laws in South Dakota).  2 of these (the recipe made 6) are going in the "snack cooler" for the trip.  I liked the slight Cajun accent the spice mix adds.  That was one of the ingredients I changed.

BTW, Kalyn took LOTS of photos of this recipe.  If interested, I sure do urge you to go take a look at her post for lots more details.

**************************************************

Fair warning... yet another ad coming up for eRecipeCards.com.

Kalyn has chosen to submit a few recipes to the site (Thanks).  Enough that there is a page where you can see just the recipes that she submitted.  I just noticed something when I could easily see a few of her postings side by side.

She has a very interesting style of photographing a dish; kind of a signature look.  Stylish, attractive and would be very easy to duplicate, even with a simple point and shoot camera (like I use).  


eRecipeCards.com does a great many things.  One of which is to show your favorite submitters' (or your own) recipes all on one page.  An easy way to point your readers to your own work (hopefully they will see more than just the current recipe your readers would like more details).  An unanticipated advantage is to see a single blogger's photo style.


But I digress...


eRecipeCards.com is a place to show off.  And to find your favorites.


Photobucket




Click this button/logo to see what I mean.  It will take you directly to the page in eRecipeCards.com that features Kalyn's Kitchen submitted recipes.  Feel free to click the home page button on top to see what your other bloggers are up to.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed the muffins, and thanks for the shout-out for my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always so intrigued by Kalyn's recipes! These muffins sound like everyone's favorite hangover cure of pizza-for-breakfast...but way better.

    ReplyDelete