Friday, February 5, 2010

Shrimp PO'BOYS more New Orleans Cajun Superbowl Recipe Ideas

A Po'Boy is a Louisiana traditional submarine sandwich. Made with meat or seafood, served on a traditional french bread baguette. This week, Joanne from EATS WELL WITH OTHERS won a copy of Arnaud's Restaurant cookbook. I will be very excited to see what this native New yorker does with the cuisine of the Big Easy. In the chapter on the casual side of dining in New Orleans, there is a two page spread on creating Po'Boys. Their bottom line, traditionally meat, lettuce, tomatoes, creole mayonnaise on french bread. Or, they suggest you be creative.

I was creative...

First, I made a couple loafs of bread. I made a pretty detailed post on bread baking yesterday when I did my weekly "I CAN COOK THAT" column for OUR KRAZY KITCHEN. Click HERE to get the details on the easiest loaf of bread you you could ever want. the recipe has never failed me, takes only a few minutes hands on, and yields GREAT results. Bake your own bread. It is easy and very satisfying.

Next, I "faux grilled" my shrimp. I wanted to grill outside, but it was a little drizzly here in god's country (Kansas). So, instead I used my broiler to get similar results.

Recently, Velva from TOMATOES ON THE VINE did a wonderful post of participating in a "Pay it Forward" event among bloggers. Basically, it is a regional exchange of specialty foods in your area with bloggers from another area. She sent me a goodie box filled with fun stuff from Florida, with the idea that I would Pay it forward, select willing bloggers outside of Kansas and exchange Kansas specialty items with them. Instead of Kansas, I am going to wait a couple weeks and send out some Virgin islands specialty items. Stay tuned for that post, once we get there (and the goats in the road don't delay me).

One of the items Velma sent me was a little jar of Roasted Mango Chipotle Sauce, and some bamboo skewers. It was great fun to use these in my Po'Boy!

I mixed the sauce with a pound of shrimp. I then skewered the shrimp. The skewers were PERFECT, flat and wide instead of toothpick thin. Much easier to turn.

Then (and here is the secret to "faux" grilling) I arranged the skewers on a large casserole dish so that there was space between the shrimp and the bottom of the pan.

Set your oven to broil, pop the dish in the oven and set for 3 minutes, turn the shrimp, and broil again for 2 minutes

Meanwhile, let's make a little fancy mayo...

2 tablespoons of mayo, and I added 1 tablespoon of garlic sauce. You can add your favorite BBQ sauce, some spices, whatever you like to make it your own.

Mix well

Add the shrimp and again, mix well!

Wow, these were good. Really good, just as they were.

They would make a great little appetizer as is, just add a few toothpicks and let your Superbowl guests dig in...


Geaux Saints

BUT, I resisted the temptation to eat them all without making that sandwich...

I hollowed out some of the bread, so that I could get more stuff inside (you've probably seen Subway Shops do that). Then, I arranged some on the edges so that it looks good. At this point, if you have lettuce and tomatoes, add them (I didn't).

Here's a side view of the sandwich, with the hollowed out bread and a generous amount of shrimp (half a pound in each sandwich). I also sprinkled on just a bot of that lime zest/salt that I blogged about yesterday.

I served this with a batch of PLANTAIN Fries (again, see yesterday's post on them, by clicking HERE. A nice little summer themed treat in the middle of a cold drizzly nasty day in god's country (Kansas)!

And wouldn't these sandwiches go well while the Saints win by 6?

And hey, Buffalodick... Friendly wager?


Talk About Good!

14 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks delicious! Love that NOLA thing going on! I just made and posted Cajun Gumbo several days ago. Nothing like Nawlins food! Go Saints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shrimp po boys--these really look incredible! And I can't believe you make your own bread--very impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! So easy and yummy. Must try this out one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bread, but I think the shrimp sound so good just like they are! Fantastic post Dave.
    ~Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wrote a long comment and it disappeared. I give up.

    Keep cooking - that sums it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the idea of faux-grilling! we just lost our grill (friggin apartment regulations!), so that's a great idea. those po' boys look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had a po'boy but you sure do make them look and sound delicious.

    I'm thinkin' you've got it backwards though...it'll be the Colts by 6.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks delicious. Wish I was there :-). Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dave, I am so glad that you enjoyed the box of goodies.
    Your post today was rockin' with blog wins, po boys, and a good tip on faux grilling. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loves me some po' boys. Yet, I've never made them at home. Thanks for the play by play. I've gotta give these a try. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dave, I thinking this is better than GOOD. Waaaay better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this tip on indoor grilling shrimp and this sandwich looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous bread - and amazing sandwiches! The grilled shrimp sounds so delicious in them.

    ReplyDelete