Monday, February 22, 2010

We Made it!!! And a Kitchen Reveal

We are here! I now live in the US Virgin Islands, Island of St Thomas, and for the time being, we live in the capital city of Charlotte Amalia.

I have so much I want to remember and to tell, I have decided to set up a couple of sister blogs specifically about my time on the island. I was jealous of those bloggers who had decided to post a photo a day for the entire year. I have set up a site that will have very little commentary, but will feature a different set of photos every day from my adventures til I have to go home to Kansas...

DAILY PHOTOS IN ST. THOMAS
http://dailyvi.blogspot.com/
Already has a couple of posts up, so take a visit there and live the island life for a few minutes a day! On this site, there will not be much (if any) food info, just things I see when I go about my Moondoggie lifestyle.

A KANSAS FOODIE IN THE VIRGIN ISLANDS
http://vifoodie.blogspot.com/
Has my first post up. First morning on Island, we found a local farmer's market. I posted lots of photos and gave just a few little glimpses of what I learned so far about cooking and food shopping on the island.

If you visit the sister sites, drop me a note so I know if you like the new system.

I am going to try to keep this blog (Year on the Grill) as more of a cooking blog with recipes and instructions that only superficially will have to do with the Virgin Island location. The "Foodie in the VI" blog will have posts specifically about my foodie adventures that have to do with the specifics of cooking and eating on the island. I will probably update each of the three blogs daily, trying to do this one last so I can link to the sister blogs to try to peak your interest.

Today I am going to give you a kitchen reveal. We are not positive about where we will be staying for the next 6 months, but probably we will be living in this one bedroom with separate kitchen apartment for the next 30 days.

It is generous to say it is a separate kitchen,

I have a microwave, full size oven and electric burners.

Single sink with very low water pressure. This is the total size of my counter space (above photo and below). So kneading bread is a challenge.

Total size of the kitchen fits me... no cooking in pairs.

I have been shopping, and I ran into a farmer's market. so I have some foodstuffs to get started... gonna see a lot of shrimp recipes.

Full size refrigerator which is actually rare on the island in the type of place we are renting now. Usually people come to these places for a week only and go out to eat every night. So most just have a fridge to store water bottles.

Like I said, we have been shopping... Bananas, Plantains and 2 kinds of Rum. A bottle of rum is cheaper than the same size orange juice.

A nightly glass of pineapple juice and rum to start end the day on our balcony has become our tradition.

Tomorrow I will tell you about my first cook in the new digs... a BBQ shrimp and chicken pizza.

23 comments:

  1. Hi Dave, I can't wait to follow you in this new territory.

    This kitchen will be a challenge. I thought my counter space was limited but nowhere close to yours. I am curious as how you get around.

    My first kitchen was so small that you stood in the middle and reached out and touched all the appliances. The oven door could not open because it hit the fridge.

    NOw, you have a big kitchen. Enjoy everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a great place to live! Can't wait to see all of the fresh foods that you are going to cook with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, at least you have the essentials. Rum, fruit... what else do you need in the islands? :D Glad you got there safely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the move! Going to check out your other sites to live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for getting their safely! Your new blogs look like an awesome way to remember your time there.

    I like rum way better than OJ anyway...and the fact that it's so cheap means that it's a better excuse to have it with breakfast. Mmmm plantains...soo good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy it all, it will pass quickly. Before you know it, your sandels will be "clicking" you back to Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting that you are in my favorite place on earth, besides South Louisiana! And your new blog sounds wonderful, cher1! Can't wait to see what you cook up in that miniature kitchen! And please post some pics of the beach pretty water, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice balcony view Dave. I'm thinking trying to keep three blogs going by cooking and wandering around the Virgin Islands is my kinda of work. Looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess that view makes up for the kitchen. Kind of a challenge but I know you can pull it off. Looking forward to your posts on all of your blogs. Do you have access to a grill? We are all traveling with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a beautiful view! Glad you made it safely. I'm looking forward to your adventures! On my way to the other blogs now - cheers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so excited to see a post from you! Can't wait to be a part of your adventure. I may have to go buy some rum and pineapple juice and sit out on our snow covered deck with my view of the Rocky Mountains, just to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really looking forward to your recipes using all that tropical produce.

    And by the way - you have a NYC sized kitchen now. Mazel Tov!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so excited for your new home in the VI!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting! I'm sure you will adapt to the kitchen just fine. Love the pineapple juice & rum - sounds so perfectly islandy. Look forward to checking out the other blogs as well. Good luck to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting for you and your wife-have fun! I'm looking forward to reading all about your adventures and seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your new adventure! I have to say I would like to know where I can find a job like the one your wife has!!

    On the kitchen, well, believe me when I say 1) I have survived in some almost that small and 2) my current kitchen isn't much bigger.

    Enjoy your time - with all these blogs you're gonna be a busy guy! Look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dave... So happy to hear from you! It all looks wonderful. Just remember don't eat the IGUANA! Hahaha... Looking forward to your posts...

    Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  18. You definitely won't have to share that kitchen! Glad you made it safely and you're getting settled in. The rum is cheaper than juice?! I'd be in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on the move!! I'm already excited to hear all about your upcoming adventures! Pineapple rum sounds like the perfect way to end the day :) And I can't wait to see what you do with the plantains - I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving the way you've set up your blogs and certainly excited to read all your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, how awesome is this... to have this kind of diversity and variety to spice up your life! I love visiting island cultures (Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Cozumel, etc.) and I'll bet you're going to treasure the memories you make on St Thomas and the new friends you make. Enjoy!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am way, way, way, way, WAY behind on my blog reading, so I'm starting at the beginning. :) Glad to see that you made the trip safely! I can't wait to check out the new blogs and catch up on what I've missed ...

    ReplyDelete