Sunday, February 7, 2010

Cajun/New Orleans Super Bowl Party Snack Idea - What I am Taking

Saints by 6 (you read it here first) ... BuffaloDick, friendly wager???

Tonight, I am heading out to a party. I only get to make one item, and this is the PERFECT snack. Honestly, don't you want your plate to be the one that goes home empty. This one is guaranteed to please...

MOINK BALLS!
The MO in moink comes from beef meatballs, and the oink in Moink comes from the bacon wrapping.

Moink
Balls are legendary among BBQ aficionados. So legendary that they have their own listing on WikQUEpedia! Click on that link to learn the history and suggested options for making the Moink. Originated on the BBQ GRAIL website, and adored Internationally, it is the perfect appetizer.


Now, Technically, Moink Balls need to be grilled or smoked. I understand that most of you do not cook outdoors, and that is a shame. So, I will show you the many that I grilled in the snow and cold. But also, I have an easy way to make them in the oven...

Here we go...

Mise en Place the ingredients

1 pound of bacon (cut in half)
1 bag of frozen all beef meatballs
Cajun or BBQ Rub Seasoning
BBQ sauce
toothpicks or skewers

Now ladies, you read right, the man who makes his own puff pastry is telling you to go out and buy a bag of meatballs. They come precooked, all you have to do is heat and serve.

MOINK Balls are made by taking a 1/2 ounce beef meatball, wrapped in 1/2 strip of bacon secured with a toothpick. The bacon wrapped meatball is then seasoned with a rub of your choice and smoked low and slow for about 90 minutes or until the bacon just gets crisp. The decision to sauce or glaze the MOINK Balls is up to the chef. The original MOINK Ball was served with a Raspberry Balsamic Glaze.

I have a method to cook in the oven listed below,
but they should be grilled!


It is best if you grill them.

Even in the cold.

Even in the snow.

Authenticity counts.

Man up ladies and start the grill, slap on a coat and hat and be happy in your work.

But just in case you prefer not to grill, I have an option for baking in a standard oven (my apologies to the
International MOINK Ball Appreciation Society).


Set your oven at 350 degrees.

Add a bit of sauce and bake away. It should take about 30 minutes for em to cook. I cook them on long skewers, that allow me to suspend the meat between the sides of a casserole dish. See the photos below to get that idea. I call it faux grilling

Everyone LOVES Moink Balls






Hear me now, and believe me later... Easy and a crowd pleaser.

These are what I am taking.


How about you? WHAT'S ON YOUR MENU???

23 comments:

  1. Wish I was going to the party you're going to! Saints by 6??? We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, like when you have to make 5,000 little meatballs all the same size, buying them is just the right thing to do. Especially if you are then going to wrap them in bacon. Because then no matter what they will taste good.

    Perfect appetizer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't tell me Buffalo Dick is going with the Colts?????? :::taking deep breath.

    ok, back to these meatballs. I love this idea. I buy those frozen meatballs when I have to haul food in for events we sponsor at work. They're actally pretty darn good.

    I can't wait to give this a try when my Weber wakes up from his long winter's nap. Which will be soon. We actually have daylight now until 5:30 p.m.

    Go Saints

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what the folks say on the BBQ Brethren site where Larry posts, it's not a real MOINK! unless you use frozen meatballs. However, they do make exceptions for folks in other countries that can't get the frozen ones.

    You've picked the perfect Super Bowl appetizer. I haven't even put a menu together but I'm not doing a party or even going to one this year. I've got work to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fantastic game food! the only problem is that i wouldn't be able to stop! have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cest bon, cher! And that pic of you grilling them in the snow is priceless! Geaux Saints! Have a bon temps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... Those sound good! Like a bacon burger!
    Have fun today and Go Saints!
    ~Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love balls...er...meatballs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bacon makes EVERYTHING better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Pierce! They sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GO SAINTS!!

    We're having homemade pizza! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound amazing!! Bacon really just makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're all hoping the Saints win here! Those meatballs with bacon look perfect. A great treat....we're having lots of appetizers and I made a chocolate cake....THAT goes with anything!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're not giving me the Colts + 6! That would be unfair to you! I'll bet you a jar of Dudeks mustard against a bottle of your favorite K.C. made BB-Q sauce that the Colts win...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dave - those look amazing - I can just imagine how smokey they would be on the grill!

    Have fun tonight!

    I am doing simple stuff - my only homemade things are shrimp cocktail and queso - the rest is frozen stuff in the deep fryer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We aren't doing anything for the big game. Dude doesn't really like football, but I want to watch. We are doing left over ham in sandwiches, chips and dip and guac.

    I am digging those meatballs with bacon-you could wrap almost anything in bacon and it would be good :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. GEAUX SAINTS!

    These sound great--anything wrapped in bacon and grilled tastes good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this! Where is this party being held?! :)
    Have a super sunday and happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These sound awesome!! Of course, I'm sure they won't win any awards in the healthy eating contest, LOL. But they are now officially on my list to try in the near future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. We don't watch TV alas, so went out for a pizza and stayed until half time when the restaurant shut off the TVs! I brought a book while Ole Sweetie-Pi watched the game. He's rooting for the Colts. I thought he was talking about beer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Allow me to be the first to say congrats on the Saint's Win. Good game... good food.. good times.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These do look really good...and really easy. I've never heard of a moink. A monk, yes, but not a moink. lol. It looks like there's a whole barbecueing subculture based around the moink ball! I'll have to educate myself now. Thanks for the info and great recipe. Congratulations on a Saints victory. As a Colts fan, I know how good it feels when your team wins the Super Bowl. : )

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look amazing! And I think you should start selling Everyone LOVES Moink Balls! t-shirts. Or at least wearing them.

    ReplyDelete