Sunday, February 28, 2010

"Paying it Forward" Anyone want some exotic items from The US VIRGIN ISLANDS???

Have you all heard of the "Paying it Forward" foodie exchange program? That's where a foodie blogger receives a food package from a blogger friend. A month or so ago, my good friend Velma from the TOMATOES ON THE VINE blog selected me to receive a package of foods from Florida. I got some locally produced hot sauce, flavored oils, spices, Georgia Pecans, some terrific grilling skewers and lots more! See the photo above for what I got!

Whoo Whoo Freebies! I loved it!

BUT...

I promised to "pay it forward", and offer the same deal to my blogger friends. That is, I will select three bloggers who respond to this idea in my comment section. I will send you a box full of fun local ingredients (nothing fresh, no fruits or veggies, not sure what is legal and safe, so only sealed items). I have discovered that the US postal system works the same down here, meaning I can send a "flat rate" box for $10.95 to the states. If you live any where else, meet me half way and agree to pay any additional shipping costs beyond $10.95 US (I take Paypal). But if you live in one of the 50 states or apparently any of the territories (like the US Virgin islands), the shipping and ingredients 100% are on me! It's my turn to pay it forward!

But, you in turn have to promise to pay it forward as well. At some point in the future, you need to do the same thing. That is offer to three of your readers a chance to receive a package of goods from your area. Sure, in the short run, you are losing money, but isn't part of being a foodie sharing the exotic ingredients and creations we are proud of. I am proud of my new home, and can not wait to share with my friends. When I was in Kansas, I could easily have found Kansan specialties. Same for my time in NYC, and everywhere else I have lived. What is local and common place to you is an exotic ingredient to other parts of the country

I am going to start looking... I have seen a locally made hot sauce (actually, I have smelled it, the guy is a local legend, and he cooks a batch up every month. He lives just down the hill from my home away from Kansas and it makes the whole area smell like a BBQ joint! There are also chocolates made here, maybe some dried spices, Rum ball cansies and Cakes... Heck, Why not some Rum... Not sure what you will get, but you will get a box full of a dozen or so different items.

So, as long as you are willing to play along and pay it forward, drop me a comment that you want to sign up. I will be in touch.

18 comments:

  1. I'd love to participate. We've got some great local Colorado products that would make someone a great foodie stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this sounds awesome! Whenever I go on vacation, the first thing that I do is check out the local foodie items. It's amazing the things you can find. I know NYC has some great indigenous foods to offer, so I would love to take part in this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea. I love authentic ingredients.

    And will you pretty please link your email to your blogger profile? I wanted to respond to your comments on my blog last week via email and got 'no reply at blogger' as your email.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprisingly enough Vegas is quite the melting pot. I'm sure I could find some interesting items with which to pay it forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in, cher! I would be happy to pay it forward with a Cajun gift package!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this sounds fun! I'd like to play!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even tho I live in the desert we have wonderful local things produced here! COURSE you know that! :) You visit Arizona once in a while.

    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHat a wonderful and I mean wonderful idea. I know I am always looking for new and inventive recipes and what better way than to use different ingredients than would normally be in the pantry? I promise to pay it forward more than once. In fact maybe we could make something like this a quarterly event over at OUR krAzy Kitchen... hmmmmmm the wheels are turning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like so much fun! I'd love to play the game. I'm always open to new and exciting things. My DIL is from Taiwan and she has introduced me to quite a few new things.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a lot of fun. And PS How exciting that you are in the US Virgin Islands! I'm excited to see what you cook up in your new surroundings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pick me, pick me!!! You already know I am incapable of following recipe instructions and will do something bizarre with whatever you send... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll put poached eggs on anything - looks delicious. Just checked out your photos.... makes me farsick. I could use a little beach and sand (and walking in warm sunshine)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Heavens to Betsy!!! I would LOVE to recieve a box of goodies and would be more than happy to send some back! We have some awesome honey my husband's family makes....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your suggestions for modifying it the next time -- although it looks mighty good this time around too!! I could use some beach right about now --- and a cake like this! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dave, count me back in! I would be ready to do it again.

    ReplyDelete