Friday, September 17, 2010

Meatloaf - What to do with a Gallon of Pulled Pork Leftovers - Day 3 - Mushroom Stuffed Meatloaf



Here's some good eats!!!   Good comfort eats...


Ya'll remember my post on Firehouse Mac 'N' Cheese with caramelized pig candy on top???  Can you imagine a better meat course to pair with the pasta than a good old hunk of meatloaf???


And hey, I interrupt this rambling with an announcement from another blog. I was thrilled this morning when I read the reaction Cleo had when I posted her recipe for the Mac 'n' Cheese on my site.  Cleo appreciated the positive review of her book and the recipe that she decided to offer a FREE (Free I say, BWAhahahahahahaha) signed copy of her book, Roast Mortem to one of my readers and commenters.



So, when you are done reading my meatloaf post, lovingly dropped me a comment on your opinion of this post, head over to  the MYSTERY LOVERS' KITCHENand read over the details of how to win!  And while there, take a look at the other options... Cupcakes and BBQ, Cheese and Coffee, White House cooks and Divas... The site has something for everyone interested in food and foodies.


And if you need yet one more reason to visit the murderesses, this is one of a long long series of giveaways.  Hardly a week goes by without a freebie.  The ladies may daydream about stabbings and poisons, but they are generous.  Click HERE and take a look.


OK, back to the good stuff...


You all remember, I have a gallon bag of Raspberry Chipotle spiced Pulled Pork leftovers from last week's neighborhood BBQ.  Much as I like to eat a sandwich, I decided to see what I could do with the booty beside just heat and serve from the microwave.

So far, I made Cupcakes (my favorite... really, if you missed it, beer bread topped, with provolone cheese iced pulled pork cupcakes) and Shepherd's Pie.  I also made an omelet, but that was too easy to deserve it's own post.



But, today, I want to share my pulled pork meatloaf!


Pretty standard meatloaf recipe, but I added a spiral stuffing of mushrooms...



And I wrapped the loaf in bacon... Kind of a slicing guide...




So, here's what I did...



1 pound Hamburger 
1 pound leftover Pulled Pork
3/4 pound sliced Mushrooms
1/4 cup BBQ sauce of your choice (I added some of the Raspberry Chipotle paste I make to some store bought BBQ sauce to make my own Raspberry Chipotle BBQ sauce)
1 cup dry Bread Crumbs
2 large Eggs
4 cloves smashed and minced Garlic Cloves
Spice Mixes I Love!2 TBS "Not your Grandmother's Herbes de Provence" Mediterranean herb mix (feel free to substitute your own mix of possibly, oregano, basil, thyme, whatever you have in your spice drawers... But you ought to make your own mix, and my formula is pretty good (OK, really good, but I digress)
1/2 red Onion, diced
1/2 pound of Bacon


1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated 
1/3 cup Marinara Sauce (It's so easy to make your own fresh and freeze for later use... and I digress again)



  1. A Kitchen aid mixer will make your life easier... using the dough hook, add together the hamburger, pulled pork, eggs, bread crumbs, onion and spice mix and let the machine do the mixing for about 4 minutes.
  2. Flatten the meat mix (life will be easier if you do this on a sheet of wax paper) into a rectangle, 1/2 inch thick.
  3. Top with the mushrooms and spread out the BBQ sauce.
  4. Roll up to create the spiral look and mushroom taste.
  5. Wrap in the bacon, securing the slices underneath so the weight of the loaf will hold the bacon tight.
  6. Bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 60 minutes.
  7. After 1 hour, top with the Marinara Sauce and then sprinkle the cheese over the top of the loaf
  8. Return to the oven for 15 minutes.
And a nice thick slice of this (thickness of the bacon, so each slice has a bacon wrapped filet mignon look), served up with some of Cleo's Firehouse Mac 'n' Cheese (don't forget to click that link and enter her contest for FREEBIES!).

BTW, I used my leftover pulled pork.  Feel free to use a pound of breakfast sausage to get a similar taste.  Or I wonder how this would taste with some minced leftover pork tenderloin,  turkey, chicken... Or, next time you make meatballs for spaghetti, make a few extra to make a meatloaf the next day.  Meatloaf is a great way to use up leftovers.

Got a big weekend of cooking planned.  Gonna have some fun.  See ya tomorrow!








...

3 comments:

  1. That meatloaf looks and sounds amazing. Love the addition of raspberry chipotle sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always so inventive. I would have never thought to put pulled pork IN a meatloaf! Talk about carnivore heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, when I said that I like a meatloaf sandwich better than the original meal, I didn't realize you had made meatloaf, I wasn't cheating I swear!

    Now gimme some leftover meatloaf, cheddar, and some bbq glaze!

    ReplyDelete