Friday, September 4, 2009

revisiting 7 steps to Party Prep plans to a successful event AND My recipes review

This weekend is the unofficial end of summer, and for many backyard warriors, a great chance to grill and party with friends, family, neighbors and whoever shows up. For many of us, this is an opportunity to cook for people beyond just the family.

Personally, I am going to be very busy. My wife and I invited everyone. At least everyone within shouting distance (literally). We are hosting a neighborhood party, get together, BBQ. So far, we have confirmed 50 people attending, and who knows how many more will show up.

So, today's blog could be of great interest to anyone planning such an event, or just an excuse for me to get my head wrapped around what to expect. Let's see if I can make this interesting for you all...

A month ago, I hosted a fancy party for 6 people that took a great deal of advance planning. At that time, I wrote what turned out to be a popular post about advance party planning...7 Steps for Party Prep Plans to a successful night at the Grill. you can reach that blog by clicking HERE. I went into great detail on each point, but the short version of each is...
  1. Plan the type of party
  2. Set and control the mood
  3. Menu and drink selection
  4. Shop at least a day ahead of time
  5. Write cheat notes
  6. Ask for help if you need it
  7. Enjoy the event
All good advice, now let's see what I changed or added to ...
  1. Type of Party... This was going to be a relaxed BBQ, hosted entirely in the backyard (may let some pee in the house instead of the bushes, but trying to keep everyone outside for ease of clean up). BUT, I also needed to spend a little time considering the possibility of rain. This was going to happen rain or shine. I talked it over with my wife, and an inside party of this kind could happen. While we have no children at home, we do have a room devoted to children, in case of visiting nieces and nephews. We can fire up a Disney video, dump the toy box on the floor and the Moms that attend can police that room. I have a man cave, with a big screen, poker table and a few lazy boys (one more lazy boy when I am around). We have a large living room and dining room, as well as a fairly open kitchen. Certainly not our first choice, but we could make it happen.
  2. Set the mood... Pretty easy to achieve, three or four different groupings of chairs, tables for serving, keeping in mind flow (don't jam up near a door). Our neighbors behind us have a trampoline that they have agreed to move closer to our yard. I did ask them to keep it in their yard for insurance reasons. they added a rider to their policy, and I do not want to be sued when someone breaks their arm. Again consider flow. I will have a grill for hot dogs away from the table where I will serve the pulled pork, a separate table for condiments, a separate table for side dishes and drinks and a separate table for desserts. Spread all this around the yard, and there will be few chances for back ups. Keep things moving, Everyone gets to eat, but no one person can back up the line... think the whip scenes in Rawhide.
    Move em on (head em up)
    Head em up (move em up)
    Move em on (head em up)
    Rawhide
    Cut em out (ride em in)
    Ride em in (cut em out)
    Cut em out (ride em in)
    Rawhide

    Keep movin movin movin
    Though their disapprovin
    Keep them doggies moving
    Rawhide
    Dont try to understand them
    Just rope, throw and brand them
    Soon well be living high and wide
    My hearts calculating
    My true love will be waiting
    Be waiting at the end of my ride
  3. Menu... BBQ for this many people means pulled pork. Beans in the smoker will be easy. Potato salad screams backyard. For the kids, I will grill hot dogs. As to drinks, that is a little complicated. generally simpler is easier. I picked up 96 cans of whatever the cheapest beer I could find. Half Bud Lite and have "regular" Bud. I also will make 8 gallons of Lemonade. Anyone wants anything else, let them host their own damn party.
  4. Shop early... Done. 40 lbs of Pork Butt, 96 hamburger buns, 2 dozen hotdogs and matching buns. Lemonade mix to fill the my 2 1/2 gallon drink container, and I will always have a gallon pitcher ready to add, and the ability to make more as needed. I also stocked up on cheap BBQ sauce (I normally like to use higher end specialty brands, but for 1/3rd the price, more pedestrian sauce it is), mustard, Mayonnaise (shudder), Cole slaw and pickles. Also checked my supply of plastic plates, napkins and plastic forks. All these needed restocking. I make my own rub, so I inventoried the ingredients I needed. Same with my beans and potato salad recipe. Also made sure I had plenty of coal and wood for smoke. It sounds funny, but I also made sure my first aid kit was stocked, and that my fire extinguisher was current.
  5. Write Cheat Notes... done. I have a timetable (what needs to be on the cooker at what time, when it should come off, when to mop, when to add coal, etc. I also have a list of what needs to be set up before guests arrive. And of course, my wife has my "Honey Do List" (shudder).
  6. Ask for Help... Without exception, when the neighbors were invited, they all asked if they could bring anything. After a bit of consideration, we decided to ask for a side dish or dessert that would serve 6-8 people from each household. Additionally, we asked a couple of our close neighbors to bring over a set of lawn chairs. We will have 25 chairs. A nice mix for those that prefer to stand and mingle, and those that want to sit and visit. I also have good friends that have volunteered to help man the grill for the hot dogs, the drink station and wander with the garbage can.
  7. Enjoy the Night... Well, I plan to... we will see. Get into my zen moment, know what you can control and know what you can't. Think about what could happen, and have a vague plan. But go with the flow. you can't micro manage. Set a tone for fun and your guests will follow.
Well, that's it for planning. I am going to start this up at about 6 PM tonight, with plans to serve at 4 PM tomorrow (remember, I foil for a few hours). Pray for me.

Anyone see anything I am leaving out???

*********************************

And one more thing I want to do... several of you may still be up in the air about what you are going to cook for the weekend. whether you are cooking for one to a dozen, I have been working on some original recipes over the summer.

Much like yesterday's post of all the Steven Raichlen recipes I am going to list all the ones that I have come up with and blogged the recipes. Be sure to let me know if you tried any and what you thought of them...

APPETIZERS (3 recipes)

Back on June 29th,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Gouda Stuffed Barbecued Mushrooms . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE.I make these in a smoker, but they can easily be done on a grill set for indirect cooking. It is a crowd pleaser, and a great use of your smoker while you are foiling meat.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on June 30th,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Stuffed Peppers . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE.I make these in a smoker, but they can easily be done on a grill set for indirect cooking. It is a crowd pleaser, and a great use of your smoker while you are foiling meat.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on July 23rd,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Garlic Chili Parmesan Cheese . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. I make these on my grill, but they can easily be done on a smoker. It is a crowd pleaser.

* * * * * * * * * *

Side Dishes (7 recipes)

Back on July 1st,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Blue Cheese Potato Salad . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. These are not done in or near a smoker or grill, but nothing says BBQ side dish like potato salad. The Blue cheese extra snap really sets this apart. It is a crowd pleaser.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on July 17th,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Killians Beer Baked beans in my SMOKER. You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. You see lots of recipes for baked beans around... I would love to see a better one. And, BTW a bonus, whenever you make these in your smoker, it adds moisture in your smoker, making the smoking process of the meat better.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on July 30th, 2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Grilled Garlic Pepper Potato Dominoes . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. These were done in a grill, with indirect heat. Very very pretty, lots of panache for a special occasion. It is a crowd pleaser.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on July 14th,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for ELVIS ASPARAGUS. You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. How to get your kids or a cave man to eat vegetables, wrap them in fat and sprinkle sugar on them! Elvis would be eating these today if not for that doctor that prescribed too much medicine.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on August 18th, 2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Dan Quayle Potatoe Medley . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. These were done in a grill, with indirect heat. One of the easiest recipes you will ever find. VERY versatile. Actually, there are 2 recipes, one complicated and one simple... Much like Dan Quayle himself. It is a crowd pleaser.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on AUGUST 25th,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Grilled Garlic Blue Cheese Polenta. You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. Very Tasty, can be done ahead of time, with the grill adding a beautiful finish.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on August 28th, 2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Goat Cheese Bruschetta with Grilled Onions . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. A new recipe for a classic dish. Serve as an assemble it yourself appetizer for your guests to have something to do while you finish the main course on the grill.

* * * * * * * * * *


Main Courses (8 recipes)

Back on July 16th,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Grilled Pizza . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. Grilled pizza is MUCH easier than it sounds, includes a recipe for the pizza dough also. I made these for a "get to know the new neighbors" party. A great use for leftovers. It is a crowd pleaser.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on July 28th,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for what I call REDNECK CAKE (pulled pork on beer bread) . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. A great use for leftovers. It is a crowd pleaser. A great easy recipe.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on August 6th, 2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Spiral Stuffed Pork Loin . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. A lot of work for a great pay off. Spiral cut insures flavor in every bite, and the stuffing is a great mix of sausage, vegetables and flavor. It is a crowd pleaser.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on August 14th, 2009 I blogged about my original recipe for what I call REDNECK EGG ROLLS (Left over Rib meat, BBQ Cabbage leftovers in a wrap) . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. A great use for leftovers. It is a crowd pleaser.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on August 23rd, 2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Horseradish Mustard Encrusted Whole Beef Tenderloin . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. Cooking a whole tenderloin can be expensive, or very inexpensive considering how much quality meat you get... More than a dozen filet mignons can be cut from this one piece of meat. This is a great wet rub for a spicier taste. It is a crowd pleaser.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on August 24th, 2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Marinated Red Wine Teriyaki Whole Beef Tenderloin . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. Cooking a whole tenderloin can be expensive, or very inexpensive considering how much quality meat you get... More than a dozen filet mignons can be cut from this one piece of meat. This is a great marinade for a flavorful mild taste. It is a crowd pleaser.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on August 26th, 2009 I blogged about my original recipe for PETER BRADY's Pork Chops and Apple Sauce Glaze Kabobs . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. I did these actually two ways, one on the grill, and one under the broiler in order to show that you can cook my recipes even without a grill. And I found out a secret about my wife.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on August 30th, 2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Raspberry Chipotle Marinated Spiral Stuffed Pork Loin with a Bacon Lattice And oh yeah, a thin layer of Provolone Cheese . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. This tastes JUST AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS! If you only want to try one of my recipes, give this a shot.

* * * * * * * * * *



Desserts (4 recipes)

Back on July 16th,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Grilled Dessert Pizza . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. Grilled dessert pizza is MUCH easier than it sounds, includes a recipe for the pizza dough also. Chocolate and cinnamon sugar makes this a great treat. I made these for a "get to know the new neighbors" party. A great use for leftovers. It is a crowd pleaser.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on August 4th,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Chocolate Covered Bacon . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. No griller, smoker or fan of BBQ should miss out on this. I found out that it was all in the flair, add nuts, caramel or white chocolate. CHECK THIS OUT. It is a crowd pleaser.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on August 8th,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for VERMONT PECAN PRALINE CUPS IN A WHISKEY SAUCE...MADE IN A SMOKER . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. You are nobody in the smoking world til you can find a recipe for pastries cooked in a SMOKER. This one is terrific! It is a crowd pleaser.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on August 15th,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Bananas Foster Fruit Fun on the Grill . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. A classic recipe, flambe' on the grill with granny smith apples and pecans. CHECK THIS OUT. It is a crowd pleaser.

* * * * * * * * * *
Sauces/Marinades/Rubs (1 recipe)

Back on July 29th,2009 I blogged about my original recipe for Pomegranate Carolina Sweet BBQ Sauce . You can check my complete recipe with photos and ingredient list and how to guide by clicking HERE. This is a terrific sauce recipe. A little sweet, a little heat. This is thin, like a Carolina vinegar based sauce.

* * * * * * * * * *


23 original recipes, a LOOOOONG way to go for my goal, but a fine start. let me know if anyone tries one of these...

Dave


3 comments:

  1. I wish I lived within shouting distance of your place! I'll be thinking of you this weekend, mouth watering the whole time! Have fun & good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it seems to me like you have everything all set. You could be a professional party planner! I don't think it's funny to check the first aid kit and fire extinguisher. Those are very essential items, which you hope never to use. But better to know that they work rather than find out that something's wrong when you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.

    I think that sums it up.

    Wow.

    ReplyDelete