Thursday, October 8, 2009

Praise and Thanks to - KAREN COOKS

Another day went by, and no new followers (that box in the center sidebar with all the little faces) signed up to take a look at my blog. That's a terrible thing for my ego, but a great opportunity to recognize a blogger that was following me before I started this series. Eventually, I plan to introduce all my followers to you all. I will post about the new ones signing up as they sign up, but every chance I get (when no one new likes me), I will get to revisit some old friends...

And BTW, yesterday I was hoping that twp new followers that I do not recognize, nor have easy access to their blogs joined. I would still like to find them. So if you know, or if you are "Rick" or "Larry", drop me a comment so I can see what you are all about...

But to day I am excited to fill you in on KAREN COOKS. You can find her blog by clicking HERE. And for my grilling buddies, Karen on the surface may not look like a grilling blog, but she comes awful close. When you read her posts, you discover that she does indeed cook outdoor as much as possible. I mean no disrespect to some of you bloggers out there, but do you all really eat as many sweet baked goods as you blog about? Karen blogs about her fresh garden and what she makes from it. As long time readers know, I have a weight issue (click HERE for my confession). I love looking at all the sweets you people tempt me with. My wife and I have a joke, if it's in the house, I am going to eat it... NOT in moderation. If there are cookies, I don't eat one, I eat a dozen. So, truth be told, I don't really make any of the sweet things I like to look at. I have no self control.

BUT, Karen's site is filled with stuff that I not only should want to make, she makes it all sound so appealing and gives such great directions that I truly WANT to make her recipes. Not saying her site is all low fat health food hippie chick stuff. It's just fresh food, made with fresh ingredients (many of which she grows) Let me give you a few examples...

Tomato soup... No big deal, Campbell's makes a pretty good one, and most of you can make a better one... But when you hear about hers, well, this is the best I have ever heard about. She harvested her own batch of cherry and pear tomatoes. She then added...celery, onion, garlic, carrots, bay leaves, jalapenos, bacon, bell peppers, salt, pepper, cumin, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and white wine. She gives very detailed photos (including making her own croutons) and very clear instructions (and served with grilled cheese with the crusts cut off like my Nana used to make for me). I am guessing it may not be as good as yours, but it sure sounds like I need to make another trip to my farmer's market and give this a try.

This girl has food chops. She lives in Montana, relocated from the deserts of Southern California. A wife, mother and grandmother. And a pretty darn good cook...

Fried Green Tomatoes... A really good book, only a fair movie, and a dish I want to try now. Cooked outside on that side burner thing on her grill (love that), and served with grilled venison. See, it's not health food, she breads, she cooks in oil, and butter, she fries... But she uses fresh ingredients and makes a better tasting and yes, even better for you healthwise than a trip through the Burger King drive through could ever be. I would eat this any day of the week.

How about stuffed ZUCCHINI... That she also grilled thank you very much!

And here's one for Coyote... Huckleberry Muffins (not made on the grill, but that's OK). Coyote shot down my idea of making prison toilet wine from those,maybe muffins is more appealing to her.

Like I said in my confession post, I am heavy, I fail at diets, but I am succeeding at eating great fresh ingredient foods, enjoying myself and losing weight slowly. It is blogs like KAREN COOKS that convince me I am doing all that without depriving myself at all. Who wouldn't want to eat her stuff? She is the best kind of blogger (to me). Real food I would make, easy and clear directions (even for the complicated stuff) and you can tell she really cooks this stuff herself. No magazine recipes that "sound good, and i hope to make soon". She is the real deal! Take a look at her blog, I bet you will be back... CLICK HERE to get there!


*****************
I have said it before, and I will say it again... I LOVE Blogging and Bloggers. Having followers is a great way to let me know that you are out there. My blog improves with each new follower. I feel a connection, as well as an obligation to be witty, entertaining, informative, accurate and consistent. Knowing that I am being looked at makes me a better blogger and I hope you will be patient as I continue to improve. Looking at all these terrific sites shows me how far I have to come, but gives me great ideas from everyone!

Take a look at these guys. If you like what they have to say, come back for more. Drop em a note (comment) of encouragement. Newer bloggers need to know someone is out there, and older bloggers need fresh blood to feed on, let em know you were directed to their site from me and you may make a new cyber friend too.

And if you regularly check in on me, go ahead and join my followers list/ Plug me in your blogroll and let me know you are there. I want to see what you are all about too...


R, CAG and G... Good Talk.




5 comments:

  1. Karens blog is a good time, I'm wicked jealous of her garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the introduction. I have subscribed to her blog. Can't wait to read aboout that garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am honored to be featured in your blog today! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is the 2nd time in a week that you've left me speechless. I just read your post on your new guys club. HMMWLTC. Did I get that right? Loved reading about how you met.

    Can us ladies subscribe to your new club? ad if we can, can we heckle...er..ah I mean comment?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her food looks and sounds amazing! Thanks for the lead to another tasty blog!

    ReplyDelete