Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Baby Back Ribs and a Photo Travelogue



Well, our whirlwind tour of the states has come to an end. ..


I have done a few posts on Baby back Ribs in the past...Click HERE for my best one.




I always make a rack of sweet cheery rubbed ribs for Jackie and more spiced ribs for me... Isn't that the most beautiful picture you have ever seen???


Low and slow... 225 degrees, about 3 hours.  I did add a drizzle of honey and wrapped in foil for 3 hours (insures very tender moist meat).


And now the travelogue...


After travelling over 8 thousand miles, feeding 22 friends and neighbors, celebrating my mother-in-laws birthday, cooking for an impromptu pot-luck dinner and getting a much needed "fix" of friendship (old friends are the best), we are back in our temporary permanent housing ...


Here's a quick photo round up...




My beloved deck, in the background, you can see my beloved smoker and beloved grill... In the foreground you can see the beloved weeds that are growing as tall as the house (our house sitter didn't know what was weeds and what was flowers).  Jackie is afraid of how tall they will be in 2 months when we are back for good...




Jackie is very proud of her hometown, Kimball, South Dakota.  Population 745 - of which 650 are apparently her cousins.  I go there at least a couple times a year, and meet new ones every time.  Notice the hotel in the background.  That's where Jackie and I stayed for our honeymoon. 




One of the cousins, Cousin Frank, was getting married... Well, his daughter was.  This is the view from where she held her reception, along the banks of the Missouri River...




The reception was held at a hunting lodge... Incredible Taxidermy lined every wall.




Not a smoker myself, but if you are going to, isn't this the best "smoker's area" you have ever seen?  Beats the 5 feet from the office door.




Next night was the big B-Day party... Here is Jackie's mom with a moose (different place... Taxidermy is HUGE in South Dakota)...




Happy Birthday song from her 7 of her 9 GREAT Grandchildren...




Next day, her sisters and nieces and nephews (and kids and grandkids) tossed an impromptu pot luck dinner for the family.  Over 50 attended.  TONS of food...




I brought about 5 pounds of left over pulled pork from my neighborhood feed....


So, my contribution was a double helping of Pulled Pork-Shepherd's Pie...




The measure of success for a pot luck contribution is how much is left at the end...




No one's dish was completely empty (they love to eat up there, and everyone brought double portions).  But This was well received (phew).






Happy Birthday Marie...

...

3 comments:

  1. Good food, family, friends. Sounds ideal.

    I am trying my hand at ribs in the near future. Your delicious picture has convinced me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful trip. Food, family, friends = lots of memories. Well worth all of those miles traveled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good time! Nothing like double portions. Heh.

    Those ribs look awesome, I actually just made some last month for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete