Saturday, November 14, 2009

PINEAPPLE SLOPPY joe's... um, I mean PINEAPPLE SLOPPY BOB's

Awhile back, my good blog buddy Linda at COOKING TIP OF THE DAY was sponsoring a contest. The winner got two bottles of COUNTRY BOB's ALL PURPOSE SAUCE. Well, I was thrilled when my number came up. More BBQ sauce, who wouldn't want that???

I am now all out :(
Like I said yesterday, I have been using this stuff for flavoring a LOT of things...

BUT, before running out, I came up with a winner of a recipe...

PINEAPPLE SLOPPY BOBs!...
1st the recipe list

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 pound apple sausage
1 whole bottle COUNTRY BOB's ALL PURPOSE SAUCE
1 whole onion, diced and divided, we will use each half in a different way
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
1 can pineapple chunks (if the texture scares you, crushed pineapple will work)
2 cans tomato paste
fill one of the empty tomato paste cans with water

Here's what I did...

As always, first, assemble your ingredients...

My wife had made a mistake recently and bought 2 pounds of 93% lean ground beef. As Peter Paul Rubens would say, "fat is good", not only for paintings, but for hamburger as well. Without it, your burgers are less flavorful.

So, to add a new taste, as well as some fat, I combined the hamburger meat with a pound of really tasty apple sausage. Then, I browned the meat and half the onions. Once browned, I removed and discarded the fat.

Once the meat was browned and the fat drained, I added the drained pineapple chunks. If that sounds odd, imagine what a pineapple pizza tastes like... or imagine grilling a pineapple and brushing a little tangy BBQ sauce on it right before serving.

And if you can't, you ought to give it a try sometime. Pineapple pizza and BBQ pineapple are terrific... but I digress...

Add the entire bottle of COUNTRY BOB's ALL PURPOSE SAUCE, as well as the two cans of tomato paste. Keep the water handy to make as sloppy as you like.

Cook this for about twenty minute to get the sauce flavoring the pineapple and meat thoroughly. Right before serving, add the remaining onions. The onions that have been cooking will have seasoned the broth, and lost all their unique taste, as well as their texture. By saving some onions to add at the end, you add texture and taste to the mix.

Serve on a bun...

This is a BIG success on every level. The meat is very well seasoned with the sauce. Lots of snappy taste. The jalapeno adds heat, and the pineapple adds a layer of sweet. This is a great combination thanks to Country Bob's.

12 comments:

  1. LMAO over the Peter Paul Rubens quote!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this looks really good and will be giving it a try. Interesting combination of flavors! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sloppy Bob's! this really sounds good! I see you used whole wheat buns to keep it healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. I love pineapple in a lot of savoury dishes, so this look super yummy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great to me - I usually shy away from any sweet in savory dishes, but may have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pineapples huh! That sounds very interesting.Sometimes strange combinations work. Did you make the rolls?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious twist on an old favorite. Love the pineapple idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always been curious about Country Bob's sauces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the flavor twist!! Is it ok if I keep shaking my head at you (and I mean it in a nice way!) YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of apple sausage, but it sure sounds good. Nice combination of flavors going on here. Kudos, cher!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that ia a great idea, I find myself hoaarding my Bobs sauce, I dont want to run out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i guess I need to be looking for Bob (don't tell my husband hahaha)

    ReplyDelete