Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I Can Cook That - GRANDMA SALLY's MARINATED MUSHROOMS

Props for this tasty little appetizer goes to a wonderful blogger, COOKING FOR MY PEACE OF MIND. She advertisers her cooking style as "stress cooking" to deal with distractions outside her "everything is fine" kitchen! I love her site, and it is always worth a look...

Click the photo of her web header to see her blog...

Back on November 3rd, Danielle made the following post... Grandma Sally's Marinated Mushrooms. As long tome readers know, I love to entertain, and I filed this one away for my next big get together. In my opinion, it is a perfect appetizer...

Here's her recipe...

1 1/2 lbs. mushrooms (I used crimini)
3/4 cup oil
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp basil
6 - 10 pepper corns
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove

Gently wash your mushrooms and cut the dry ends off the...stub? stem? trunk? Whatever it is...cut it off!

In a good sized deep skillet or large sauce pan, combine everything except for the mushrooms. Simmer for about 10 mins

Add your mushrooms and stir until nicely coated. You'll know when they're all coated cuz they get all shiny and pretty

Cover and cook. Now...depending on the size of your mushrooms, you'll want to cook them for about 5 - 10 minutes. The original recipe said 3 - 5 minutes but my mushrooms were pretty good sized and I ended up cooking them for 10 minutes. You don't want them soggy...wilted or soft. You want them....mmm...I dunno....kinda al dente.

Once they've cooked and cooled off, put them in a storage container and keep in the fridge until you're ready to eat.

WELL, this sounds easy enough... Pretty quick, and can be made ahead of time (Very important when you have a houseful of people coming over)... I made a few small changes,

HERE's WHAT I DID...

First, I substituted Oils and Vinegars for some flavored oils and vinegars. I had some O OLIVE OIL brand Jalapeno/Lime Oil, and some Zinfandel Vinegar. Next, I altered her spices. Earlier in the year, I made a batch of Steven Reichlen's recipe for MEDITERRANEAN RUB. The rub is equal parts tarragon, oregano, dill, thyme, rosemary and salt. I like to keep my rubs for no more than 3 months. After that time, the spices start to lose their potency. So, it's now or never to use this rub. Honestly, I have used this on pork, beef and fish. On ALL of these meats, it ... well, for lack of a more polite word, it sucked as a rub for meat. But, as a flavoring in oil, all these spices should blend well... Let's see...

Oh, and I love garlic... 1 garlic clove??? I don't think so... add a bunch!

And from there, I just followed the recipe...

AND THEY WERE INCREDIBLE! Not a little bit, but a LOT. I even ate the sauteed garlic cloves...INCREDIBLE! They are a wonderful little finger food (I served with long wooden skewers). They were very popular.

Hey, would this little girl lie to you... Very Popular!

And one final addition that was popular, I served these with a few Blue Cheese stuffed Olives and people started using the olives as a stuffing for the mushrooms... made them even more popular!

And, BTW, if you check Danielle's original post (Click HERE), you will read a wonderful story of how this recipe was passed to her from her mother-in-law that she never met. I love a recipe with a story!

So.. (THA TA TATA), I present my newly created award to DANIELLE, at COOKING FOR MY PEACE OF MIND...


To this wonderful blogger, and remind her of the simple rules...
1) Take inspiration from or outright steal a recipe from a fellow blogger
2) Actually make the item, or make a close copy of the item
3) Blog about your efforts, giving proper credit and links to the inspiree
4)If you receive the award, be honored, as there is no greater feeling than having your efforts not just recognized, but duplicated! That is the only real rule, is to feel honored. BUT, feel free to post this in your side bar and to pass it on to one of your favorite bloggers which you have made one of their recipes.

20 comments:

  1. I like mushrooms this way... the unenlightened I hang around with don't... casting pearls before swine, as it were...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I agree with the additional garlic. Can't have too much garlic... or can you??

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband would really enjoy these! They look wonderful! Thanks for sharing with us. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum, yum, yum! I think I would stuff every single one of those babies with a clove of the garlic! I wish I had some mushrooms handy, I'd go make them right now! They are definitely going on the game day buffet menu in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - after all this time I just noticed you are participating in Nablopomo. I've added you to my Nablo pals blog list. Go to the post below for a little surprise :-)
    http://meandering-martha.blogspot.com/2009/11/thank-you-storyteller-from-sacred.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you'd posted this a couple of days earlier! Well, on second thought, maybe not, it's probably better to make these after Thanksgiving when I can have them all to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love garlic too, and those mushrooms sound so good!

    Have an awesome Thanksgiving tomorrow with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on adding more garlic! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent job - wish I were your neighbor so you could try all these dishes out on me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw that post and promised myself I would make them. I haven't yet....dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, that's it! I am inviting myself to enjoy some of these fabulous dishes. I will bring a good bottle of wine and pull-up a chair and join you :-)

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the sound of this recipe! Great idea. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. While I don't like mushrooms, my hubby would love these.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your wife and family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anything that comes on a skewer or stick has to be delicious and good for you :) Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for the award...I truly am honored! And you did them justice with your improvements! I'm sure Grandma Sally would be proud. Sounds wonderful...of course the more garlic the merrier...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Danielle's blog is fabulous! And these mushrooms can't be beat! Yum!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Succulent mushrooms! Holy yum! That lil one is a cutie ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooh yeah, these are good! Perfect little bite!

    ReplyDelete