Sunday, November 15, 2009

Day of Rest - Mom's Home Cooking


Well, I'm back...

7 fun filled days in the Arizona sun! I wish I had insight into what I am feeling, but I don't. I made the trip to visit with my 72 year old sainted mother, and my beloved step-father. It is difficult when visiting parents rarely (we hook up about once a year, graduations, weddings, etc.). This was the first time in years when it was just Mom and I (and my wife and her husband). It was a great week.

We toured an Olive farm, visited the Grand Canyon and Sadona, AZ. The weather was unseasonably cool one day, and they even insisted that we go hiking up the side of a mountain to see Indian hieroglyphics. And every morning we sat on their porch and talked.

My mother, despite her age is in better shape than she was 4 years ago (last time I spent time with her alone). She had a heart procedure (operation), which improved her ability to wander the dessert. This very same hiking trail she took my wife and I on, beat her a few years ago. She got about half way, and went back to the car. This time, she kept pace with a bunch of Boy Scouts climbing the same trail. She did great.

That's the good news. Sadly, her husband (her third), has had two minor strokes in the last couple of years. He has minor shakes, and has lost most of the vision in one of his eyes. I remember when Mom married this time, she told me she prayed that she would never have to bury another husband. I can envision difficult days ahead.

BUT, for now, all is well, they are happy and active and we can always hope for the best.

And, this is a food blog, so let me get to the food... Whoo Whoo, a whole week of Mom's Home Cooking...

And here is a prime example of what we ate all week long...

Yeap, it is exactly what it looks like, a boiled chicken, complete with potatoes and carrots. Picture this 6 hours later, and you can imagine...

I first suggested that Mom was making a stock, but nope... All the water (and flavor) went down the drain. The potatoes were mush, and the carrots were even worse. Spending that much time in the soup, of course had all the flavor go into the stock (drain). The chicken was certainly moist and juicy (and flavorless).

Sigh, this is exactly what I remember eating when growing up. Sigh, this was the best meal she made all week.

BUT... My beloved step-father had an unused Weber grill, and I did get a chance to cook for them the last night we were there. And for that post... Come back tomorrow.

In addition, tomorrow I will have all the entrees into the O Olive Oil giveaway contest entered into my data base. I will send off the recipes you sent in and a few lucky winners will be announced! I sure have missed you all, and look forward to reading what you have been up to while I was away...

Glad to be back!

15 comments:

  1. Well a big hearty WELCOME BACK! You were sorely missed. Where did you get your interest in cooking if your mom was not a good cook? or was that the inspiration? My husband's mom was a terrible cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Back ! Glad to hear you guys had a great time visiting family...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back. Your moms cooking looks JUST like MY moms cooking. Maybe we are related!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back!

    I love the Grand Canyon... it is ssssoooo beautiful!

    Well-quality time with family is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. welcome back! sounds like a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you had a great time! Bloggerville just wasn't the same without you, mon amis! Bienvenue maison! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a good time! I'd love to visit an olive farm sometime. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a good time despite Mom's cooking. I'm sure they enjoyed the Weber meal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, Dave. Thank you for sharing the pix of you and your family. My dad is 64, just had a heart procedure a year and half ago, and the guy can hike a 20 year old under the table! He is a machine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had a great visit. Truly, nothing beats Mom's cooking. No matter how hard I try, I can't cook certain dishes as well as she can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to see that you had fun with your mom! I didn't realize you were going to AZ. Hope you enjoyed the warm weather (looks like you did). My roommate from college lived there and I went about three years ago with her for spring break. It is so beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you had a relaxing and fun trip! I'm always asking to cook at home too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wait....how come you get TWO hiking sticks and Mrs. YOTG doesn't get any? (ha ha ha)

    Sounds like a fun road trip and power hiking! My parents do the Appalachian Trail and others around here. Despite my training, my mom and dad can hang with me hiking anytime. If they passed me though, I'd just trip them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dave, hugs to your mom. Her heart is certainly in the right place. She does sound like an old dear, and to have raised a loving son, well, even more kudos to her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sheesh... I've tried 3 times to leave a comment on this post.... my comment yesterday didn't take...havin' the darnedest time of it... anyway... I wanted to be sure to welcome you back... glad you had a good time visiting your Mom... and good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete