Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Redneck Cupcakes - What to do with a Gallon of Pulled Pork Leftovers - Day 2 - Redneck Cake






Who wouldn't love a honey sweetened, ginger infused, peach laced cupcake with a sweet dripping vanilla bean powered sweet butter cream icing dripping over the top. 


Well, I am sure that at least one of the dozens and dozens of amazing cupcake blogs will have something like that.


I don't...




But what I do have are my redneck savory cupcakes, made with a generous layer of Raspberry Chipotle Carolina style pulled pork, topped with an equal amount of herb laced  BEER BREAD, with a slice of boldly flavored provolone cheese melted on the top. 




You can even do your own version of savory cupcake wars and work out the presentation.  Works equally well with the beer bread on the bottom and pork on top, or the other way around.  Personally, I like the bread on the bottom and the pork on top.  That makes it easier to hold and eat cupcake style.  While deceiving your guest with the cupcake look is fun, you will need to eat them with a fork.


You can even carry the cupcake theme to the vegetable course by adding a prosciutto ham as a liner for a personal sized serving of garlic beans and caramelized cherry tomatoes.  But that's a post for another day...


But today, we are talking savory beer bread cupcakes.  Today I am using some of my leftover pulled pork from my weekend party.  BUT, like I say about leftovers, ponder what you can do with yours.  Meatloaf cupcakes (more beer bread), Spaghetti and meatballs (more beer bread), Mac and Cheese (more beer bread); you get the idea.  Oh, wait... how about coming home from that fancy restaurant with 1/4 of your steak left over.  Gonna make beer bread anyway, dice up the meat, and save a couple TBS of beer bread batter to make a filet mignon redneck cupcake.




And it's easy... layer of meat...




Layer of Beer Bread batter...


Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, top with a round of provolone cheese during the last 2 minutes.


And enjoy....


Here's my recipes and links...


For the pulled pork, I used the leftover Raspberry Chipotle mopped and finishing sauced pulled pork from over the weekend (but again, just me... I want to see someone try this with spaghetti and meatbass as a base for the beer bread)







For the Beer Herb Bread, you need...

Spice Mixes I Love!

1 bottle of Killian's Irish red Beer (any beer will work, I like Killian's
3 cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 TBS "Not your Grandmother's Herbes de Provence" Herb/spice mix















SIFT the Flour... Let me repeat, SIFT the flour. Beer bread is a very dense. If you do not sift the flour, this recipe will turn into a brick very fast.

Then combine all the dry ingredients and mix well before adding room temperature beer, and mix well.

Then, either put two TBS of the batter in your cupcake liners, then top with 2 TBS of Pulled pork, or 2 TBS of pulled pork, and then topped with 2 TBS of the batter.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

During the last 2 minutes, top with a slice of provolone cheese.


And as good as it looks... it tastes better!


...

14 comments:

  1. Dave these are serious. How do you come up with ideas this fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a cake fan, so you know I'm loving these Dave Cakes! Very inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, you had me at pulled pork!! Love your idea of savory cupcakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so funny! I love the pork and the cupcakes. Mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahah! This cracked me up. They really do look like real cupcakes in the first pic. This is truly a man-cake. =) Michael would love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea and great presentation Dave. We just may have to pull some of those leftovers out of the freezer and do something similar. That raspberry chipotle glaze is genious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I want one of those -- scratch that -- I
    want six of those for lunch. And you know I know my cupcakes! You had me at pulled pork! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you from Cupcakes Take the Cake! My husband is also a griller. These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Dave!

    You made cupcakes take the cake -- I love that blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

    Genius Dave, just genius.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These will be perfect game day food for football season!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started to think you had really lost in - but then I read and realized you are just a genius! Awesome Dave! I hope you'll link these up to my Tailgating Time meme at Seaside Simplicity tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a strange, strange man. I like that about you. Can't wait to see what you come up with tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete