Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pizza - What to do with a Gallon of Pulled Pork Leftovers - Day 5 - Flatbread Open Faced Sandwich



I love pizza!  No retrospective of leftovers could be complete without a pizza ...


Here's a funny little stat... I make @8 pizzas every two weeks.  I always use a fresh baked from scratch dough.  That sounds like a lot, and it sounds like a lot of work, but nope.


Easy as pie (pizza pie) to make your own dough.  I actually use a modified flatbread recipe (it has a small amount of yeast, but no rising time) for my dough.  I make it in a large batch, divide the batch into 4ths.  That is the perfect size to make 2 personal size pizzas.  One with my wife's favorite toppings and one with the better toppings for me.


Once I have the dough, I store the divides in separate ziplock bags in the fridge.  If I don't plan to make the za's within the two weeks, these freeze just fine.  With the aid of my kitchenaid, it takes 15 minutes to make the dough; just a little longer back when I kneaded everything by hand.  That's a small investment in time for 8 pizzas.


Today I made two pizzas...


Spice Mixes I Love!One for me... 


Pulled Pork, 
Red Onions, 
Provolone Cheese 
BBQ Sauce (I used my Raspberry Chipotle Sauce)
and a sprinkling of my "Not your grandmother's Herbes de Provence" spicemix!



I also made a "Margaretta" pizza for Jackie...




Spice Mixes I Love!1 Clove Garlic, Smashed and diced
thin slice of Tomato
Mozzarella cheese
slivers of fresh Basil
and a sprinkling of my "Not your grandmother's Herbes de Provence" spicemix!


If you are a novice bread maker, this pizza dough recipe is about as easy as it gets.  Just enough yeast to make the insides of the crust sweet and soft.  But crisps up nicely on the outside.  The dough goes right from the kneading process to the fridge.  So, there is no rise time to complicate the process.


The flour and water used in the mix should be as cold as possible.  That's what allows the yeast to flavor the bread, but keeps the flatbread... flat.


But I digress away from the recipe...


4 1/2 cups chilled Flour
1 3/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp instant Yeast
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 3/4 cups COLD Water (40 degrees)


OK, did you read the 2 cold ingredients. Takes an extra hour or two of planning, I measure the water and the flour and pop them in the fridge for a couple hours to get cold. The small amount of yeast, relative to the amount of flour and the cold will make for a flat bread, almost no fermentation (rise). Just enough to soften the taste, but not make a big rise.


In my pre Kitchenaid days, I mixed and kneaded this recipe in a gallon size ziplock bag. Worked great, largely I believe because of the oil in the recipe. Without that, the dough would be too sticky to mix in a bag. But this sure made clean up easy.


Here's what I did...

  • Mix the dry ingredients first
  • add the water and oil about a fourth of each at a time
  • mix well until all the flour is hydrated and you form a large dough ball in your bag 
  • continue kneading for about 10 minutes, or if you use your kitchenaid, use the dough hook attachment, and allow the machine to knead for 7 minutes
  • And now, time to divide... Generously sprinkle a work surface with flour. Also, prepare 4 ziplock sandwich size bags (bigger works fine as well) by spraying the insides of them with spray canola oil.
  • Plop the dough ball into the flour and coat well. Divide into 4 equal parts (or fewer if you know you are making larger pizzas). Put each dough ball into a prepared ziplock bag and refrigerate at least 6 hours, and preferably overnight.

When it comes cooking time, allow the dough to reach room temp.


If you are making one big one, just roll out round and flat (actually, any shape you like).  Add your toppings and bake in a preheated 500 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.


Not a bad lunch!


And a wonderful way to use up leftovers.  I've seen anything from eggs to Mac 'n' Cheese as toppings.  It's all great on a pizza!
...

3 comments:

  1. I'll take the margherita pizza..but with some pulled pork on top! Having pizza dough in the fridge at all times sounds like a great idea to me. Perfect for clean-out-the-fridge meals. Like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for answering a question we had Friday. We have been making bread and pizza dough for the past few weeks and we wondered if we could freeze the pizza dough for later use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge fan of pizza but an even bigger fan of it on the grill. I haven't tried it with a charcoal grill yet but it works great with my propane. I'm going to try this recipe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete