Friday, July 31, 2009

Steven Raichlen's Coconut-Grilled Pineapple

Today I am going to blog about 0ne of Steven Raichlen's Dessert recipes. Just a reminder, I am going to be cooking each and every recipe in Steven Raichlen's HOW TO GRILL book. It is a means to an end of my goal of getting better, It is forcing me to challenge myself with new and different items to cook, and it is my personal tribute (rip-off) of the "Julie & Julia Project". This recipe wrapped up the evening of my Italian meal I have already discussed. Grilled pineapple is a staple of mine. I make it fairly often. But, I wanted to try it Stephen's way; and this one worked perfectly!... so, on to the recipe.

Coconut-Grilled Pineapple
The recipe is on page 427
basic introductory instructions with several photos starting on page 424.

I do not want to step on any one's toes, and do not want to publish someones recipe without permission. If you are interested, contact your local library and they will have this book, or better yet, add it to your library and buy the book if you want the details.

I do want to post some details about the recipe that I either liked, chose to do differently from Steven's and what I learned.

First, I did make a few exactly like Stephen suggests in his book. They were terrific. I always liked to add just a bit more, and sprinkled some shredded coconut on the pineapple once I had flipped them. Nothing wrong with Stephen's, but I thought the extra little bit I added made a better final product.

I did use a real whole pineapple. It worked terrific, and tasted very fresh. This is a dessert I will continue to make again and again. Always a crowd pleaser.


On a scale of 1 to 5, this gets a 4. I really liked it, but definitely add the shredded coconut for extra texture and taste.

So far, Stephen has given me 4 highly rated recipes and only 1 that I would not make again. So far, very very good.

1 comment: