Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pasta with Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Feta and Arugula



Greetings my friends... This is straight from the Cul de Sac...


Today is another of my New Year's Resolution days... 1 meatless meal a week.


But before I get to the recipe, I want to send out some good thoughts to a couple of my blogging buddies...  Biz over at MY BIZZY KITCHEN has had a terrible couple of days, week and month.  The love of her life was diagnosed with (his words) Butt cancer just a short time ago.  His surgery was yesterday and all of Biz'd readers are sending best wishes out.  


Also, Emily Z. Over at EZ's Recipes also had an illness in the family.  Her Dad had his quadruple bypass this week.  While in fact, this bypass will add years of quality living to her Dad, it is still frightening to imagine.


Both Biz's Tony and EZ's Dad are doing well following their surgeries.  But the business of living starts now for them.  I am going to guess that both will have a lifestyle change in order to allow their bodies to adjust.


So, now I am going to talk about the Cul de Sac.  It's a place where if a neighbor gets sick, there is no end of crock pots, frozen meals and sandwiches coming their way.  We all wish we could do something, and making a little extra something to ease a tiny amount of the emotional pressure is the least we can do.  Here in our virtual Cul de Sac, we wish we could do a little more, make someone smile for a bit and relieve their pressure.  Sadly, the best we can do is provide a recipe.  If I could, there would be a big steaming bowl of this for Tony and Dad.  Both Emily and Biz were on my mind last night when I made this and are on my mind when I share this.


Hope the good thoughts help a little, and hope the recipe comes in handy if diets need to change.


OK.  First, this is a 100% rip off of a recipe posted by Joanne over at Eats Well With Others.  Joanne has been encouraging me anytime I post one of my meatless days.  her blog is always filled with the most delicious sounding stuff, but last week when I saw this i knew it was next up for me.  Everything great is in this, and it tasted wonderful!  No meat was missed.


So, thanks Joanne, if not for those chocolate covered cookie dough balls I posted yesterday, you would be the best thing I ever met (If you recall, I traced that recipe to her as well... Doesn't she care about the size of my ass???)!




For a change, I didn't change a single thing in her recipe... here's what she says to do...


Pasta with Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Feta and Arugula
Serves 4-6, adapted from Donna Hay via Sidewalk Shoes

1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
salt
4 leeks, chopped
1 tbsp rosemary, chopped
1 lb whole wheat pasta
6 oz feta cheese (I used Trader Joe's Mediterranean herb blend)
8 oz arugula
cracked black pepper

1. Toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp oil, salt and pepper.  Spread on a baking sheet and roast at 400 for 30 minutes or until soft and browned.

2. Place 1 tbsp oil in a small skillet.  Add the leeks and rosemary and cook for 7 minutes, or until soft and golden.

3. Cook pasta in boiling, salted water.  Drain and place in a large bowl.  Toss with sweet potatoes, arugula, leeks and feta.



I love how everything gets passed around here in our little virtual Cul de Sac.  I've been reading Donna over at Sidewalk Shoes for nearly as long as I have been blogging.


So, continued good thoughts go out to Biz and EZ.  It isn't easy to be the one waiting.


And thanks to Joanne for this (and Donna for sending this to her).


It's 60 degrees tonight... I'm gonna take my wife for a walk through our park now...


Nite




...

4 comments:

  1. Dave - thank you so much for your kind words - it means so much!! Enjoy your walk with Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post! The sweet potato pasta looks delicious! Hope you had a wonderful walk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I am SO glad you liked it! (Although really...who wouldn't love that carb on carb action??) The pictures are gorgeous! Making me crave the dish all over again...and sad that I finished all the leftovers today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't care about the size of your ass, but is cul-de-sac life as exciting as it was on Knots Landing? Cuz I loved that show! Never been to My Bizzy Kitchen, but going to head over there now and send my best

    ReplyDelete