Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Favorite Saturday - Chocolate Covered Strawberries in Tuxedos




Chocolate Covered Strawberries dressed in Tuxedos... Accented with Chocolate Hearts!


Dark Chocolate bark
White Chocolate bark
Strawberries
Parchment paper
double boiler and water
Pastry bag for decorating (or just a ziplock bag with a corner cut out)
and a spoon...

First, set up a double boiler. This was my first time melting chocolate in a double boiler, but it worked just like it was supposed to.

Get some water boiling, put a bowl in the water. I put a couple spoons around the edge so the bowl never touches the bottom of the pan, nor the sides.

Watch it carefully, stir occasionally and in about 10 minutes, you have melted chocolate. Do the white first...


Just like it looks, you are making the shirt front only, so you only need to dip the front in the chocolate. Allow it to cool.

Meanwhile, it is time to make a few chocolate hearts... With thatrustic homemade look that you will pay big bucks for in a candy shop...


This is easier if you use your wife's pastry bags. Or, if you don't have a wife with pastry bags, put the still warm melted chocolate in a plastic bag and cut just a tiny hole in one of the corners.

Make two dots, about the size of quarters, use about 2/3rds of the amount of a Hershey's kiss in each dot. Space them about 1/2 inch apart. use the flat side of a spoon to spread the dots out so they touch and then swirl down to form the heart. Allow to cool and viola.

I made several, til I was out of white chocolate. So, now it's time to do the same melty thing with the dark.


I am sorry I did not take more photos of the process of the dark chocolate to get the tux look on the strawberries. But, just dip from the side, being careful to leave the white "V" shape of thefront of the shirt showing.

Then use another pastry bag (or a very tiny hole in a plastic bag) and draw a little bow tie and a couple dots for buttons. Guys would still rather have Moink Balls, but women folk go weak in the knees over this kind of stuff.


Here's the plate I gave my wife for an early Valentine's Day gift. 

4 comments:

  1. Now that is a sweet gift! I do not have a wife with a pastry bag, because I am that wife with the pastry bag, or better known as the old bag! Have a great Valentine's Day with your sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely Valentine's gift. You've got a very lucky wife!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect for Valentines Day! I love making these myself vs buying. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete