If it's Monday, it must be the PIZZA 2011 PROJECT!
Just when you thought we had seen the worst of winter, we got a little reminder last week. nasty cold, windy and more snow. But in between the wee reminder and the 45 plus days we never got above freezing temperatures, I got a grilling session in!
Yesterday I posted about a Grilled Potato Souffle', inside that post was a basic "how to grill a rib-eye steak" instructions. I certainly did enjoy a big, grilled, medium rare steak fresh form the fire! But I also planned ahead, and cooked up an extra one just for this pizza.
It's hard to believe, but a year ago at this time, I was warm. I was adjusting to living in the US Virgin Isles (St Thomas). On of our fondest memories of the islands was pizza night at the hotel next to our condo. Very convenient and one of the few bargains on the island. $25 for a pizza and a bottle of wine.
One of their specialty pizzas became our favorite the first time we had it. And this is it...
Steak, grilled onions and a wonderful Gorganzola (an Italian blue cheese) sauce, all over a base of a BBQ sauce. Except for the view (this picture was taken at the restaurant, looking back over the bay towards our condo).... Anyway, except for the view, the live music they usually had, the warmth, the ocean and did I mention the warmth, anyway, except for all that, this home made pizza is actually better than the one served at the restaurant. But wouldn't it be nice to be this warm again just for an hour...
but I digress...
Here's how to make a Steak and onions with a BBQ and Gorgonzola Cheese PIZZA!
For the crust, I used My "go-to" pizza dough recipe
For the sauce, I used a bit (1/4 cup) of my Raspberry Chipotle home made BBQ sauce (feel free to substitute any BBQ sauce you might have around).
1- 6 oz steak cooked rare to medium rare (it will finish cooking as the pizza cooks, so on the more rare side), diced small
1 small onion (cut in half, the rings separated and lightly grilled to soften)
4 ounces Gorgonzola Cheese
2 TBS Heavy Cream
And we are ready to assemble the pizza...
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
- In a small saute pan, heat the cream and add the crumbled cheese
- heat slowly until the cheese has melted
- Preheat oven and pizza stone (or heavy baking sheet) to 500 degrees for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll your crust out on parchment paper to your likeness... Thin, Chewy or thick like a bread.
- Brush Olive oil around the edges to get a beautiful Golden Brown and Delicious looking crust.
- Salt and pepper the crust at this time
- layer the BBQ sauce
- Layer the steak and onions
- pour the cheese sauce over the steak and onions
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cheese starts to get that baked color.
Here's a few photos to give you a better idea...
Stay warm, March is just around the corner!