Monday, February 7, 2011

Pizza - BBQ Chicken, Red Onions and Tomato Slices



Monday can not come fast enough... 10% of my year of pizzas is finished!  This makes Pizza #6, of my goal of a different pizza every week for a year; and it also is one of the tastiest.


Pretty simple, but there is a trick to know.


First, this is another use for a rotisserie chicken.  As always, how on earth they can sell them fully cooked and seasoned for only $4.98, while a whole raw chicken is over $7, I will never understand.  But, I certainly will and do take advantage of the deal!


OK, the trick...


I order this pizza quite a bit from my neighborhood pizza joint.  It is always good, but they tend to burn the chicken.  BBQ sauce has sugar as a main ingredient.  Sugar will burn under normal conditions, but when you cook a 'za in a 700 degree oven (or higher), the sugars in teh sauce WILL burn.


There is a very easy solution.  Cover the chicken with the cheese slices before you bake the pie.


There is no tomato sauce for this, as I used a thin layer of BBQ sauce instead of the marinara.


here's a few photos to give you a better idea...




I've talked about a basic pizza dough recipe in the past, as well as a simple Tomato sauce.  This post, I want to brag on a cheese find.  Cappiello Scamorza cheese is an excellent pizza cheese.  easy to slice thin, low moisture content (one of the reasons my crusts crisp up so nice), mozzarella combined with a hint of provolone for a stronger cheese taste.  It is my cheese for choice now for almost any pizza concoction I may come up with.  BTW, no freebies were exchanged for this strong endorsement, I just happen to really like their product, and wanted to pass it on.  They have a store locator page on their website (click HERE) to help you find it.  But it is available anywhere from Wal-Mart to Whole Foods, to Lucky's to Schnucks and dozens and dozens in between...




OK, for the pizza, like I said, you want to cover the chicken and sauce with the cheese.  So first I spread the BBQ sauce, then add a layer of sliced tomatoes.  Finally, a coat the chicken with just a small amount of the BBQ sauce.




Next is a layer of cheese.  I like the slices, they melt down into the ingredients, and it is an easy way to know the pie is coated.  But the Scamorza cheese is firm enough to grate easily in a box grater if that is what you prefer.  Then I added a full onion, slice and separated into rings.  I did grill the onions prior to topping.


And just for good measure, I added a couple more cheese slices...





Any one want a piece???



OK... Here's how to make a 

BBQ Chicken, Red Onions and Tomato Slices Pizza...



Crust of choice, premade or homemade 
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
BBQ sauce of choice
Scamorza Cheese slices
cooked chicken... about 2 cups, shredded

1 red onion, sliced and separated into rings, grilled
3 Roma Tomatoes sliced thin

  • Preheat oven and pizza stone (or heavy baking sheet) to 500 degrees for at least 30 minutes.
  • Roll your crust out on parchment paper to your likeness... Thin, Chewy or thick like a bread.
  • Brush Olive oil around the edges to get a beautiful Golden Brown and Delicious looking crust.
  • Salt and pepper the crust at this time
  • Layer the BBQ sauce to within 1/2 inch of the edge
  • Top with Chicken..
  • Top with Cheese slices
  • Top with onions and more cheese
  • Bake for 10 minutes until the cheese starts to bubble and get that baked color.



Remember, Pizza night is Monday around the Cul de Sac... Keep coming back!
...

7 comments:

  1. Yes, Dave I want a piece!

    I'm going to have to find that cheese. It looks awesome.

    Much better than ordering pizza from a place that is burned...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of my favorite pizza from California pizza kitchen. Which means that I tried to lick the screen when I saw it. Amazingly delicious! I think pizza mondays are my favorite day of the week...

    ReplyDelete
  3. this pizza includes all my favourite ingredients. i want a slice to badly. making your own pizzas is always much more rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I most certainly will keep coming back. You gotta love the shapes you get when you use homemade crust. We're playing a pizza-themed game on GSN Live today and I'm inheriting two of the props - balls of pizza dough. I see my Friday night meal forming before my eyes!

    Have to swap out the red onion, I'm afraid as they don't agree with MG. Is there a most-suitable substitute or can I use any?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic looking pizza! I miss BBQ chicken pizzas; they are not as popular here in PR as I would like. Good thing I got your recipe bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This looks so good, I think I want to make another pizza! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how the onions caramalize during the baking. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete