Monday, June 4, 2012

Pulled Pork Savory Bread Pudding from Left Overs


Left overs... My very favorite ingredient!

Omelets and pizzas come to mind as something that is usually (at least for me) something I never shop for.  Time to clear out the fridge... Time for an omelet party.  Just enough meat for a sandwich left... make a pizza instead.

But for this dish, I was inspired as I was hollowing out a Big roll of sandwich bread.

If you saw my post on, You've seen this sandwich before; you read where I hollowed out the bread in order to add more of the good stuff to a sandwich.

This is what I did with the leftover bread....


A trick to a great bread pudding is to use stale dried out bread.  If you have to, cut into small pieces and dry it out in a warm oven for awhile.  The Alton Brown science of this makes sense... If the bread is still moist tender and delicious, there is no room for the bread to absorb additional moisture.  There is already saturated moisture in the bread.  Once it has dried out, the internal moisture evaporated into the air, the bread is ready to absorb the creamy, eggy, custard mixture.  If you have ever had a bread pudding where you can make out bread cubes, the cook used fresh bread.

As to a savory bread pudding... They are GREAT!  Bread Puddings, They are not just for dessert anymore.  Just skip the Rum Sauce ;)

I do not really measure anything for this dish.  If you have more meat, GREAT
If you have more egg than cream... GREAT
If you make this with just vegetables... GREAT

But, for this particular one, here's (my best approximate guess) on what I did...

2 cups Stale Bread
1 cup Minced Pulled Pork
4 Eggs
1 cup Heavy Cream
1 diced tomato
1 small minced onion
1/2 cup grated Provolone Cheese
4 large Basil Leaves cut into strips
Salt and Pepper (and garlic flakes and some toasted sesame seeds)

  1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Spray a baking dish (Pie plates work great for this, or a 9X9 pan would work as well)
  3. Whisk together the Egg, Cream and spices.  Soak the bread.  It should be the consistency of a wet stew, not too soupy, but wet.  If you need to, add milk to the mix.
  4. Add the Pork, vegetables, Cheese and 1/2 of the basil
  5. Mix well and pour in the pan.
  6. Bake for 40 minutes until the center is almost set, add the remaining Basil and bake for about 10 minutes more.
A good breakfast
A better lunch 
and a WONDERFUL Supper!



4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking that if I don't have pulled pork, cooked sausage would be good. This would be great for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good. I've made 'breakfast casseroles' before and they are certainly a hit with my family. This recipe opens up a world of possibilities!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Left overs... My very favorite ingredient!" Mine too and I really like the creative way you used yours for this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexis loves bread pudding but I don't think she has ever done a savory one like this. But anything that has pulled pork in it has to rock, right?

    ReplyDelete