Monday, January 18, 2010

Julia Child Omelette part 2 - RIBS 101

2 days ago, my omelette world was rocked. Since then, I have had a Julia Child omelette every day. When I am done with this post, I am going to have another.

But, the post I made two days ago,
Julia Child OMELETTE - 1 Minute Til Heaven on a Fork, was incomplete. I was bemused by the number of comments I received on a simple 2 egg, little butter and some grated cheese recipe (more than usual). My very favorite was from teresa who wrote at 2:03 PM that she was going to give it a try, and then at 2:12 she wrote that it was done, and SOOO good!

I also received more than one comment wondering if you could stuff the omelette with goodies and it would still work. Inquiring minds wanted to know, so here is my followup.

Yes

Oh, you want a little more info, OK, Yes, you can stuff a Julia Child omelette with meat, cheese, veggies, what-have-you and it will still come out looking the same, and tasting wonderful. I made this the same way, HOT butter in a heavy bottom saucier pan. During the 20 second cook, I sprinkled some chopped spinach and diced rib "flap meat". Then, I just started shaking the pan ala Julia. If you missed the original post, or didn't watch the video the first time, here it is again...



I have lust in my heart for her.

And sure enough, just like Julia said, it rolled up and looked just fine... same as the un-stuffed one.

Because it has rib meat stuffing, I am adding this to my collection of rib meat leftover recipes I am calling
RIBS 101. But, if you have bacon, pepperoni, ham, sausage or any of the other "standard" meats you stuff an omeltte with, feel free. Also, I used spinach because that is what I had on hand, but mushrooms, asparagus, peppers... again, any of the "standard" stuffings would work fine. Only suggestion is to keep the pieces small so that they do not interfere with the rolling process.

I would write more, but I really want another omelette!

22 comments:

  1. I was the same way Dave. The first time I made Julia's Omelet, I made it every day for a week. It's just the best omelet ever. Stuffed or unstuffed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK....I just watched the video and know exactly what I am trying tomorrow night....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know that it's just as good, stuffed!

    Think I'll have one for breakfast this morning--with a little bacon.

    Riley/Elizabeth
    Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the stuffed version looks like a great meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We eat a lot of eggs in our family ( I have access to fresh eggs-some days, I come home and I have dozens :-)) We often make omelettes or fritattas. Fresh eggs really make a difference.

    I am going to follow Julia's instruction for making an omelette. After, I am going to stuff it, like you. I see a great dinner on the horizon.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave, I sooo enjoyed watching Julia again. The omelet is a revelation everytime I try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet! As for my omelette today: I think I'll take my inspiration from my favorite Queens, NY, lunch (at Rocco's stainless steel trailer in the Queens Home Depot).

    Sausage and peppers, baby! Ciao!

    ~Cleo
    author of The Coffeehouse Mysteries
    Coffeehouse Mystery.com
    LIVE Coffee drawing today at 7 PM (Eastern)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn, that is neat, I eat eggs almost every day with breakfast, this will be a fun experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As an egg lover... it looks like a must try

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for answering the stuffing question. Alex, the non omelette eater, goes back to school tomorrow and I feel one, or so, coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol, i've made a good two or three of them since your post myself. now i need to try stuffing them too! isn't julia child the best! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved seeing Julia again and she was in top form, too. Now you've added souffles and omelets to your bag of tricks. You did a great job with both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm making this for breakfast tomorrow! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved seeing the Julia omelet video again. I eat one every morning...sometimes plain, sometimes with cheese and sometimes with shiitake mushrooms (my favorite). You've done a super job...who would have thought to put some leftover rib meat in it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have become the king of using leftovers fabulously. Also the king of omelets.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the Julia video!

    ReplyDelete
  17. After I read your first post, I was encouraged to try Julia's method. I think my pan was not hot enough as it took longer to cook than I expected, but it was still very good. I'm going to work on this and perfect my method. I can't believe that it tasted as good as it did. Going to have to forgo stuffing it for a while til I get the basics down. Looking forward to the future, though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, still haven't made it...

    Maybe tomorrow morning. Your rave review definitely has my interest!

    Way to go on the meal planning last week. Keep up the good work! : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. This omelett looks delicious and I have all the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love omelettes enough to eat them everyday also.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good lord, I watched this clip a few times, when Julie & Julia was released. You went ahead and made it! Well done, Dave. The omelette looks as French as it can be. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete