Sunday, October 31, 2010

Thick & Creamy Killian's BEER CHEESE SOUP





There's a chill in the air, and that means soup.


The little devils, angels and demons in the neighborhood are out and about and plotting their Halloween fun.


Time for a beer cheese soup.


I am a BIG fan of beer cheese soup.  I like mine thick (lots of cheese), I like mine creamy (Buttermilk adds a tang and helps to make it creamy).  I like a little extra bite (I add roasted peppers) and I like to taste a hint of the beer (Killian's, and Irish red beer has a distinctive taste that is easy to spot in the soup).


I'll belly up to a bar with a Bud in my hand with the best of 'em.  Miller Light is indeed less filling and Michelob Ultra will help cut carbs.  But for a soup, pick a beer with a distinctive flavor.  Guiness Stout would be perfect (if you like that sort of thing), Amber Bock, Sam Adams; hunt down a specialty beer.  Most liquor stores have some bottles available individually.  No need to buy a six pack if you are not a regular beer drinker.  Ask for help, tell them soup and the clerk will direct you to the more distinctively flavorful beers.


Me, I like the brilliant color and the caramelized malt taste of Killian's Red.




Here's what I did...


1 cup Onion, chopped
1/2 cup Carrot, chopped
1/2 cup Celery, chopped

4 cloves Garlic, chopped
1/2 cup Butter
4 oz can Green Chile, chopped (do not drain)
1 tsp Mustard Powder
12 ounces Killian's Beer
3 cups Chicken Stock
4 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Flour
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
  • Melt the butter in a large soup pot.  
  • Add the Onion, Carrot, Celery, Garlic and Chiles, Stir occasionally and simmer for 10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
  • Add the beer and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
  • Pour all this into a food processor and pulse until liquefied 
  • Return to the pot, add the buttermilk, mustard powder, Chicken Stock and Worcestershire Sauce and return to simmer.
  • Add the cheese 1 cup at a time.
  • Add flour as a thickening agent to the desired thickness

The actual liquor in the beer cooks out.  the distinctive caramelized malt taste of the Killian's Red is not over powered by the cheese.  A quick note on the cheese, be sure to use a better quality sharp cheddar.  DO NOT USE THE ALREADY SHREDDED BAGS.  Cheese loses it's flavor the more air that hits it.  the shredding adds lots of air surface.  Buy the bricks and grate it yourself just prior to use.


Thick, rich, creamy and delicious!
...

11 comments:

  1. There are so many beer cheese soups out there and I haven't had one yet that I didn't like. I look forward to trying this one since I don't think (not sure, have to go look) I have tried one with buttermilk yet. Good job, Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This looks great! I used to love Killian's when I drank beer. My husband loves all the dark er beers, except Guiness...too dark for him. I love how you garnished with popcorn. I am making this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard how great Killian's Red is, it must do wonders to enhance the cheese and tanginess of buttermilk in this great soup. I like how you used popcorn to top it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a killer soup! It looks fab and it is going on my "must try" list! Nice garnish, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had a beer cheese soup and have no idea why. It always sounds wonderful. I have never, ever seen anyone put popcorn in or even around soup. Clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beer cheese soup sounds so good to me right now. And after running ten miles, I'm pretty sure I deserve it. goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Confession: I have never had beer cheese soup. I love beer and cheese, and yet I have never had soup made from them. I know my husband would not object if I made this!

    The pre-shredded cheese is also tossed with a cornstarch mixture to ensure that the shreds stay separate - NOT a good idea for cooking in any case!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had beer cheese soup but I've heard of it and it sounds delicious. This looks wonderful. Go Chiefs (from a fellow Kansas Citian)! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beer and soup...my two favorite food groups.

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's about my favorite soup ever!!! You are lucky I don't live near you or I'd be trick-or-treating for soup at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SOMETHING TOTALLY NEW FOR ME AND READS DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete