Friday, October 1, 2010

Strawberry Panna Cotta - A Luxury Dessert???

In Italian, Panna Cotta literally means "Cooked Cream".  It is surprisingly light, similar in consistency to a flan (but no eggs).  With a hint of vanilla, it tastes surprisingly like a milk shake.  Resting on a bed of Strawberry Sauce, this is going to be my dessert for my planned 7 course luxury meal.  As I write this, I am still  in the running to be the Next Food Blog Star.  Assignment #3 is to host a "Luxury Dinner Party".



I will be working a bit on the presentation, adding a cut strawberry on the top, as well as a garnish of of a chocolate covered strawberry on the side.  But essentially, this is the dish I will be serving.




Here's my thought process...


The dessert needs to be individually plated.  meaning it should not be a cut piece of a cake.  Remember, it is a luxury meal, so large desserts that are cut and served are out.  I looked over my body of work, and I just didn't have anything ready to go.  So, off to the all mighty search engine to do a little research.


Another very important criteria was to serve something that can be made and plated in advance.  Long as I make room in my fridge, I can just pull these out and serve at 8 PM, after making these at noon.  Without a sous chef, having the evening flow is very important.  Moving from one course to the next can not be a 30 minute event (or even a 10 minute event).  Dishes should be cleared and new courses served seamlessly.


Next, I wanted a dramatic look.  The contrast of the stark white panna cotta and the blood red strawberry sauce is pretty.  But the panna cotta, when removed from the ramekin, has a smooth rounded look that is unusual.  Looks a bit like melting ice cream. 


And finally, it needed to fit into my theme.  All of my menu items have a European wine country origin.  I am fudging a bit, with this being Italian and most of the other recipes are French, but wine country is general enough to include both.

So, Penna Cotta it is, and after making a test version, I am pretty happy.  One more advantage, this will be a BIG meal.  I know to serve small portions, but seven courses is still 7 courses.  The penna cotta is very light  Much less filling than a pudding or custard.  And if you don't dip the sauce, it has little heft at all.  Remember, a really light smooth milkshake.  A perfect top to a big meal without weighing yourself down.



OK, this is two parts, the Penna Cotta and the Strawberry sauce... 


Here's what I did...


Panna Cotta
1 tbsp of gelatin powder
1 cup of light cream
1/4 cup of sugar
1 1/4 cup of milk
1 tsp of vanilla

Strawberry Sauce
2 cups of strawberries
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of water


  • Combine 2 tbsp of water in a small bowl and sprinkle in the gelatin powder and set aside to bloom.
  • Combine the cream, milk and sugar in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until sugar dissolved.
  • Add in the gelatin and continue to stir until gelatin dissolved. Add in vanilla.
  • Pour the mixture into small cups or ramekins, let cool to room temperature and refrigerate until set.
  • To remove, warm the outside of the ramekins in a warm water bath for just a couple minutes, will flip over easily.
  • For the sauce, Combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan. Cook until the strawberries are broken down. It will take about 20 minutes.
  • Remove from heat and run through a food processor to get an even consistency
  • Refrigerate the sauce to let it thicken.
  • Once ready to serve, drizzle the sauce over the panna cotta, or make a bed and rest the penna cotta on top.
And just that easy... Luxury (I hope).



...

7 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty luxurious to me! YUM =) (fingers crossed!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elegant and beautiful in its simplicity. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm panna cotta is VERY luxury! Especially all dolled up like this. Looks glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fancy-smhancy and luscious looking! Can't wait to see what else you're serving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comment made me smile Dave! Enjoy your luxury dinner in your cul de sac with Jackie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. We tried panna cotta once (actually tried the same recipe twice) and it was a total fail. Maybe we should try a recipe more like this one.

    ReplyDelete