Monday, October 11, 2010

Hot Chocolate - Just add Banana Rum, a Cool, Fall Night and a Firepit


"Grab your snuggy and meet me at the firepit"...

That was the rallying cry for the cap to my 7 course dinner party.




Have you been visiting the last 7 days???  Take a look at the last 7 posts for my menu, soup to snacks, Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon to a Strawberry Panna Cotta, it was a very good meal indeed.  Everything was served in courses, all the right silverware place settings, wine pairings were made and luxury was brought to the Cul de Sac.


But, once the dinner was done, time to bring a little Cul de Sac to the luxury.


A beautiful, cool, crisp fall evening.  Temps were in the mid fifties.  Light the firepit, wrap yourself in a snuggy (we had to borrow a couple, but we had snuggies for everyone (are we the perfect hosts or what?), a mug of hot chocolate and pass around the bottle of banana flavored rum.


Cul de Sac Luxury...


These are really easy.


Get a good melting chocolate.  I used a special "fondue" chocolate, made specifically to be melted.  It was the same chocolate I used to dip the Strawberries.


I did add 2 heaping tsp. of cocoa powder to the 2 lbs of melted chocolate.


I also added 1/4 cup of heavy cream to the chocolate.


Melted the chocolate slowly so as not to burn.


While it was melting, I cut small circles of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of a mini muffin tin. 


Then I sprayed a bit of non-stick spray on the sides of the mold.  You need to be sure to be able to remove the chocolate molds from the tin.


I added some decorative candy sprinkles to the bottom of the tin.


Added a heaping TBS of the chocolate to each mold


Inserted a spoon as it hardened so the spoon would stand up straight.


When cooled, I rolled the chocolate mold in some more of the decorative sprinkles.


And, when ready to serve, I just zapped some milk in the microwave till it was HOT.


Insert spoon with chocolate and stir for a few seconds till it starts to melt.


Pass the bottle for an extra little "kick"!



I did make extras.  I wrapped the extras in some waxed paper, tied with a bit of ribbon and gave each of our guests one to take home as a party favor (It was that or the snuggies, and NO ONE gets my snuggy).  



Now really, don't you wish you lived in my Cul de Sac???


...

9 comments:

  1. I've always wished I lived on your cul de sac. These look so clever and good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... I do wish I lived in your cul de sac... it really does seem that people that live in cul de sac's do have more fun! Anyway... It looks like a delish ending to a fabulous meal!

    RaineyGhoul

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm moving in. I always knew I wanted to, but this sealed the deal. This and the snuggie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, your cul de sac is the place to be. Bravo on an impressive meal! Now if you moved your cul de sac to Lake Lure we would have the best of all possible worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I normally don't like rum, but when we went to the Isle of Saba, The Unspoiled Queen of the Carribean, we had banana rum. OMG!!!
    Yes, I do wish you were in our neighborhood. (Not willing to move to Kansas YET.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pray for neighbor like you everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Banana rum in hot chocolate, yum-yum, and those little party favors are so cute and creative! Do I wish that I lived in your cul de sac? No, but, I do wish that you lived in mine! :) Cheers, cher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazingly creative! I am jealous that I did not think of such a thing. This is a must for the next hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know, everything about the cul de sac sounds good except for the fact all of you have snuggies, ha ha.

    These end of the night treats look great for the coming cold night.

    ReplyDelete