Monday, October 25, 2010

Raspberry Chipotle Marinated Sausage Stuffed Spiral Cut Pork Loin with a Bacon Lattice



Pork, wrapped in pork, wrapped in pork...


And the marinade, and the cheese in the stuffing, and the Raspberry Chipotle, and the potatoes/onions/carrots...


But mostly it's the pork, wrapped in pork, wrapped in pork...


And a little bit the presentation, how can you not love a bacon lattice!




But mostly it's the pork, wrapped in pork, wrapped in pork...


By putting the sausage on the inside, the rendering fat oozes through the cooking pork loin, making it the most tender and moist slice of pork you will ever eat.  By marinating the sausage in my raspberry Chipotle Sauce, you add a wonderful "extra" flavor that also oozes throughout the loin.  Add a little provolone cheese for an unexpected snap and you have something wonderful...


The bacon lattice is just the beautiful topper to a wonderful dish... 


Dare I say Thanksgiving table worthy???





Here's what I did...


1 - 4 pound Pork Loin
1 pound fresh ground Sausage
1 pound thick slice Bacon
3 slices Provolone Cheese
1/2 Red Onion, diced
2 TBS Raspberry Chipotle Paste
1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
1 TBS "Not Your Grandmother's Herbes de Provence" Spice mix


1 dozen tiny Pearl Onions
5 Red Potatoes, diced same size as the Onions
5 Carrots, cut 
2 TBS "Not Your Grandmother's Herbes de Provence" Spice mix


I did have so many vegetables that I put a few in the casserole dish under and around the Bacon wrapped Pork Loin, but also in a separate dish... Can't have enough veggies!


Especially when you are making...


Pork, wrapped in pork, wrapped in pork...



As to the Raspberry Chipotle Paste, I happen to make my own.  You can find the technique and recipe by clicking HERE.  BUT, there are a few commercially available Raspberry Chipotle sauces available, check your BBQ sauce section and you should be able to find some.  I make a thick paste that can be thinned as desired.  Thus, the vinegar I use to make it marinade thin.


Spice Mixes I Love!As to the "Not Your Grandmother's Herbes de Provence" Spice mix, again, I like to make my own.  This is a mix of mostly Mediterranean herbs and spices.  I make a big batch about once every other month.  Always fresh and always at hand to add an herb taste to any dish... 


Like this one!


OK, back to the recipe...



  • First, combine the Raspberry Chipotle Paste and the vinegar.  or, use the commercially available Raspberry Chipotle sauce straight.
  • Mix the sausage and red onion and the marinade and allow to rest for 1 hour.
  • Spiral cut the pork loin.  This does take practice, and you will get better the more times you do it.  be sure to have the sharpest knife possible when you start.  Just start cutting about 1/2 inch slices and roll the loin out as you slice till it is long and flat.
  • Spread the sausage on the loin.
  • Top with the provolone slices
  • Carefully roll up the loin.  DO not push and squeeze, as all the goo will ooze out.
  • Top with the Bacon Lattice, then sprinkle some of the "Not Your Grandmother's Herbes de Provence" Spice mix.
  • Rest the loin on a bed of cut raw potatoes, surround with more potatoes, carrots and onions.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 30 minutes, or until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 150 degrees.
Alright, if you are new to making a bacon lattice, I have several photos showing step by step how to's coming... Easy as could be...


Here the bad boy is laid flat, with the sausage and provolone cheese on top...


And here he is rolled up.  Note where the "open" part is (bottom right)...


Now we add the bacon.  Note that I moved the "open end" to the top.  If you leave the open end on the bottom, you will lose most of the rendered fat and the sausage and loin will be drier than it should be.  OK, depending on the width of you loin, place bacon slice flat, with one end of each  under the loin.pull everyother slice over the loin...


Add a slice across the side, tuck the edges into the center of the roll.  Roll the top slices of bacon down, carefully so that they are out across the cutting board without pulling on the bacon laid and tucked across.  Then, pull the "other" slices of bacon up over the bacon laid and tucked across...


And just repeat, every other time alternating which slices are pulled down and which are pulled over.


I pee my pants just a little when I see the beauty of pork, wrapped in pork, wrapped in pork!




And the taste... Most importantly, is amazing!  The sweetness of the raspberry shines through.  the heat from the Chipotle shines through.  The spiral cut allows a bit of the sausage and a bit of the loin in every bite.  Such a mixture of flavors and tastes!



And a beautiful look!


...

10 comments:

  1. This is what happens when you put all the good things together. Yummy. Pork wrapped in pork is surely the best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I don't eat meat, but my kids LOVE bacon and would love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. With my current pork obsession, this looks a lot like heaven to me. Stick a fork in me. I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is seriously impressive! I don't know where to start! The bacon, the wrapping, the bacon, the presentation, the bacon, the sauce! Holy cow that looks good!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just can't go wrong with pork. Ever! That's an amazing presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband would love all that bacon!

    In response to your comment, I think "ICBINB" works really well with cookies and breads. I think they come out lighter and fluffier; which I like. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So thoughtful of you to wrap that poor little piggy in a nice warm blanket of bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woahhh! Now that is one serious meal! Michael would LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a pork roast in the oven and it doesn't look nerly as good as this. And it's wrapped in bacon...
    Oh ya, and i forgot to comment on the mozerella. I love love homemade cheese!

    ReplyDelete