Are you following along, I am covering my 7 course POM DINNER PARTY in detail. 7 courses, 7 different sauces used to make the meal. Everything from a sweet Pom Grenadine (used to make the drinks), a thick heavy honey like Pom Molasses (used to make the bread), a savory Pom Garlic Infused Sauce (used to make an Olive Tapenade Straw), a Pom/Balsamic Reduction (used to flavor an Insalata Caprese Salad) to... well, the rest have yet to be posted (but will later today and tomorrow... multiple posts each day so come back often).
Today, we will cover the SOUP. And this rates an OMG... I loved this soup. It is based on a Creole recipe I picked up when I took a class at the New Orleans School of Cooking. A thick, heavy creamy soup, filled with flavors and topped with shrimp. I drizzled more of that wonderful Pom Garlic infused Sauce to really make this ... well, BAM!
Here's what i did to make the Pom Garlic infused Sauce...
2 cups POM WONDERFUL JuiceAs to the soup. It is a heavy cream based soup. I must say, of all the soups I make... by far, my favorite.
1 bulb garlic, peeled, crushed, minced
1 additional bulb of garlic, juiced
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons Pom Molasses
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (I used my own "Big Easy in a Jar")
- First step, over medium heat, a slow simmer, is to reduce the Pom Wonderful juice by 1/2. This concentrates the flavors so they shine through the remaining ingredients.
- Add the minced garlic
- Add the juice from cold pressing the bulbs from a head of garlic
- Simmer the juice and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
Here's what I did...
24 ounces quartered artichokes
1 quart Chicken Broth
1 cup sliced thin green onions1 tablespoon Thyme Leaves
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup butter
1 quart Heavy Cream
1 pound medium sized Shrimp (pealed, deveined, tails removed)
Cajun Spices if desired (I do, Jackie doesn't, so I add to individual bowls),
Cayenne Pepper to taste
If needed to get the right thickness desired (remember I am going for restaurant quality look as well as taste, add a bit of Corn Starch
For garnish (optional)
Additional Green Onions And here is how to make the soup...
- Combine Artichoke, chicken stock, green onions, Cajun spices, thyme leaves
- Bring to boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 12 minutes.
- Combine butter and flour to make a roux
- Stir in heavy cream to roux and whisk til mixed
- Add the roux/cream mix to the simmering pot...
- Continue simmering for 10 more minutes
- Add shrimp and simmer for 3 minutes only (shrimp cooks FAST)
- Serve with Green Onions and parsley for garnish...
- Add a little extra heat (Cayenne Pepper) if desired.
The Cream based soup is wonderful as is. BUT, drizzle in the Pom Garlic infused Sauce and you really end up with a restaurant quality, special occasion soup.
Can not possibly recommend this soup more
And if you need a little help in learning to open a Pomegranate to get at the good stuff...
Here's how to open one... VERY neatly (So neatly, I did it over a white towel... No Mess)