Saturday, November 6, 2010

New York, New York Cheesecake Cheesecake... So Nice I Named It Twice


And with a thick, sweet yet tart, deep rich dark mahogany drizzle of Pomegranate Molasses (are you all paying attention, we made Pomegranate Molasses yesterday, click HERE)... 

Well... OMG OMG


I was so thrilled, I said OMG twice!

First, the history lesson (with thanks to WhatscookingAmerica.net)...
New York cheesecake is the pure, unadulterated cheesecake with no fancy ingredients added. It is made with pure cream cheese, cream, eggs, and sugar. Everybody has a certain image of New York Style Cheesecake. According to New Yorkers, only the great cheesecake makers are located in New York, and the great cheesecake connoisseurs are also in New York. In the 1900s, cheesecakes were very popular in New York. Every restaurant had their version. I believe the name "New York Cheesecake" came from the fact that New Yorkers referred to the cheesecakes made in New York as "New York Cheesecake." New Yorkers say that cheesecake wasn't really cheesecake until it was cheesecake in New York.
1929 - Arnold Reuben, owner of the legendary Turf Restaurant at 49th and Broadway in New York City, claimed that his family developed the first cream-cheese cake recipe. Other bakeries relied on cottage cheese. According to legend, he was served a cheese pie in a private home, and he fell in love with the dessert. Using his hostess’ recipe and a pie she made with ingredients he provided, he then began to develop his own recipe for the perfect cheesecake. Reuben soon began to serve his new recipe in his Turf Restaurant, and the cheesecake quickly became very popular with the people who frequented Reuben’s Broadway restaurant.
That wasn't so bad.

And now the soapbox editorial...
One of the great sins of the culinary world is the box, no-bake cheesecake.  the sin is not that they exist, the sin is in the name.  Call those no bake things whatever you like, but set them side by side with one of these beauties and you will understand.  Speed, efficiency, the hint of something special, all make sense.  But, I guess I understand, no one would buy them if they were called Faux Cheesecake.
A couple of notes...

If you've never made one of these, a word of warning.  They are incredibly easy, but the baking process is several HOURS.  Don't try to cut the time down.  It's part of the baking process to bake for an hour and 10 minutes, then allow it to continue baking while the oven is off and cooling for the next 5 hours (about the time for the inside of the oven to reach room temperature).  As in most things in life, good things come to those who wait.

And finally, this can be an expensive cake to make.  4 bricks of cream cheese can be expensive.  But, follow the sales in your store.  I saw Philadelphia Brand Cream Cheese on sale this week for 69 cents a brick.  Sale time is the only time I make this.

Alright, enough delay...

Here's what I did...

For the Crust, 
10 Cinnamon Graham Crackers
3 TBS Butter, melted

For the Filling,
4 8oz. packages of Cream Cheese
1 1/2 cups Sugar
3/4 cup Heavy Cream
4 whole Eggs
1 cup Sour Cream
1 tablespoon Real Vanilla 
1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Grease a 9-inch spring-form pan. 
  • In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, or, I used my food processor to make the crumbs, with melted butter
  • Press onto the bottom of the pan using the bottom of a glass or measuring cup.  
  • Only  press the crust up about half way.  Part of the appeal of a NY Style Cheesecake is the unevenness of the crust (go back and look at that very first photograph)
  • Onto the filling...In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. 
  • Blend in Cream, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. 
  • Mix in the sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth. 
  • Pour filling into prepared crust.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. 
  • Turn the oven off and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours. 
  • Chill in refrigerator until serving.


And if you made Pomegranate Molasses yesterday,  Put a dollop of that on the plate for dipping.




And if you really like the Pomegranate Molasses, Drizzle, Drizzle (I liked the drizzle so much, I drizzled it twice)!

18 comments:

  1. Dave, what a gorgeous cheesecake. It turned out perfectly. Love your pom molasses. It really rocks.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ate dessert much, this would be one I would like. Nice job and the angles of your photography with these create some very good shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT post. Of course, being a New Yorker, I have to mention Junior's of Brooklyn for your visitors who want the easy way out. Truly, a slice of Junior's cheesecake is an orgasm on a plate. Click here to visit Junior’s online

    Your Pom molasses is a must-try. Going to get the recipe right now. Thanks, Dave! Have a great weekend...

    ~ Cleo
    Coffeehouse Mystery.com
    Cleo Coyle on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good old New York cheesecake and nothing better to cut it's richness than some tangy pomegranate molasses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always on the look-out for great cheesecake recipes and this one is going into my collection! I'd much rather buy 4 bricks of cream cheese and make it myself than buy just one piece of cheesecake for $5.00! This is why great cheesecake recipes are so valuble! Thanks for sharing!! btw..I just posted my version of Paula Deens Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe on my blog last night...we must be on the same cheesecake wave link!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post! thanks for the inside of th NY Cheesecake history :) now I realy want to bake one... but my oven is busted :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG...what a great looking cheesecake....Yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't even imagine how good this is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK now I'm craving for a slice of NY cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheesecake is my favourite dessert and I love the sound of the pomegranite molasses too

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'm looking at perfection here! Oh MY!
    I want this for breakfast, then a morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, supper, bedtime snack, THEN I will share with my husband. Only then. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooooh I want some now please, this looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO GOOD SO GOOD...I WANTED TO SAY IT TWICE.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A late comment, Dave. Just saw this picture and wow. It's my grandmother's cheesecake recipe, to the letter! Except for the pomegranate molasses drizzle. It's such a delicious cheesecake.

    ~Avery

    ReplyDelete
  15. mmm... I love cheesecake. Can't believe you got cream cheese for 69 cents! An incredible sale where I live is like $2. Regular price is like $3.50! Groceries must be more expensive where I live.
    Sometimes it's just worth the money though:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks delicious..wish could have a piece just off from the plate :)

    ReplyDelete