Summertime and the living is easy!!!
I am close. Soon I will be able to make this dish with only ingredients I can pick in my garden (well, except the sauce; but cucumbers, onion, and herbs are all coming along ncely!).
I made this dish as a side dish for a BBBQ recently. I had also made some grilled salmon and this worked FANTASTIC as bed to serve the fish on. Beautiful and FILLED with flavors.
There is a small trick to making this. As the directions say, be sure to leech out the moisture in the cucumbers. It is easy to do, just salt the slaices and let them sit in a collander for awhile. You will be amazed at how much liquid comes out. If you do not, the cucumbers turn mushy and the bottom of the bowl will be watery (as will your sauce). Do the simple trick and this salad will keep fresh and crisp in the fridge for a couple of days...
As good as it was at the BBQ, it made for a fantastic crisp summer light lunch!
Lemony Cucumber and Red Onion Salad
- 2 Large Cucumbers, sliced thin
- 1/2 Medium Red Onon, sliced thin, rings separated
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Zest of 1 Lemon, Divided
- 2 TBS Chopped fresh Dill
- 2 large leaves Fresh Mint, Minced
- 1 tsp Champagne Vinegar
- Several turns of a Pepper Grinder
- Salt to Taste
- In colander set over large bowl, toss cucumbers and salt; let stand 30 minutes at room temperature to drain.
- Discard liquid in bowl.
- Pat cucumbers dry with paper towels.
- In same clean bowl, combine 1/2 of the Lemon Zest, reserving 1/2 for garnish, sour cream, Lemon Juice, dill, mint, vinegar, and pepper. Add cucumbers, stirring to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors or up to 4 hours.
- Garnish with remaining Lemon Zest, serve on a bed of fresh sliced tomatoes
- Serve Chilled and ENJOY!