Thursday, April 3, 2014

Hawaiian ColeSlaw Tropical Sweet - 52 Do Ahead Side Dishes, Condiments


This dish has lots of advantages.  I guess if I were honest I would admit that the main advantage is this wonderful mix of flavors comes together with about 10 minutes of actual hands on work.  It is best f you can refrigerate the slaw overnight, but actual real work is only a few minutes.

Pre Package slaw mix and open a few cans.  a tiny amount of dicing, mix and you are set.

But another BIG advantage is that unique taste.  Sweet from the tropical fruits, this slaw is unlike anything you have ever had.

Which means that this will work just fine as a side dish.  honestly when I served this my guests were practically licking their plates.   But me, Liked to pair this with a spicy Pulled Pork for a favorite sandwich...  Little pickles, little red onions, little SPICY BBQ sauce, some provolone cheese and this slaw all between an artisan bread roll...

Heaven on a plate!

But that side dish would fit in any family get together, any big holiday meal or of course a unique offering in the competitive world of Church PotLuck Dinners...

A Winner Either Way!!!


OK... Here's what I did...


Hawaiian ColeSlaw


Ingredients
  • 1 Bag (14 Oz) ColeSlaw Mix
  • 1-1/4 Cups Mayonaise
  • 1 Small (8 z) can Crushed Pineapple, drained and squeezed to remove as much moisture as possible
  • 1 Small (8 Oz) can Mandarin Oranges, Drained
  • 1 Small Jar (6 Oz) Maraschino Cherries, Drained and dried with a paper towel.  then each cherry quartered
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Several turns of a Pepper Grinder
Cooking Directions
  1. Carefully drain the cherries and dry with a paper towel. If you skip this step the cherry juice will bleed into the mayo.
  2. Toss all ingredients into a large bowl and mix to combine and coat with the mayo
  3. Cover and Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
  4. Serve chilled and ENJOY!
Works GREAT as a side dish all on it's own...

And even better as a topping for a pulled pork sandwich!


******************************************************

This recipe has been added to my growing list of "52 Church PotLuck Dishes"!

A list of something NEW worthy of being shown off at a neighborhood BYODish (Bring Your Own Dish) Party, a Family special occasion dinner, Any Big Holiday Gathering or of course that glorious day when you bring a dish to share with your Church family...

Ages ago, literally almost a half century ago I was listening to our pastor talking about a PotLuck Dinner. It happened to be scheduled around a church work day when we were expected to weed, polish and do general cleaning and maintenance around the church (you know, back in the day when there were no no-wax floors and church pews smelled of Old English furniture polish). I am of course paraphrasing, but as I recall the pastor said,

"A potluck, like a church requires work. At a potluck everyone is expected to contribute.. At a church no one should come empty handed and no one should leave unfed".
I will confess that in my youth I brought more store bought plastic spoons and forks than I ever brought covered dishes and crock pots of fresh made love and caring delights. But now that I have become a hobbyist cook, I occasionally am reminded of those days and people from my youth. I reminded and I do wish that I could drop a dish of some new creation on those old tables at my fondly remembered Liberty Baptist Church.  Tables covered with newspapers and loaded with God's bounty prepared with love and caring... Enjoy

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" or "52 Ways to Cook BBQ and Grilling Recipes"!!!

Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons.  Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment