Monday, April 28, 2014

30 Garlic Peppercorn Beef Roast - 52 Beef Recipes


It's Post number 3 of my weekend Whoop de Doo...

I have already posted my recipe for a BBQ sauce I whipped up... Tennessee's own favorite son, Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey BBQ Sauce and Glaze!  The sauce was in honor of our visiting friends from Tennessee, Larry and his entourage of family and pets that have been RVing across the country for the last 2 months.  Larry writes the Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings Blog where you can look over some of the best scenery and stories of his trip.

The sauce was used to glaze up one of the best Turkeys I have ever made.  I pulled out the stops and brined the bird for 24 hours and then injected a Cajun Butter into the meat.  That Whiskey sauce was used as a glaze during the final 15 minutes of slow smoking (on a Weber kettle grill) for this Brined, Injected, Whisky Glazed BBQ Turkey!  While it does sound like a lot of work, this was the star of the afternoon with lots of atta boy comments!

But I had over a dozen friends and family that wanted to meet up with Larry and his travelling band.  So in addition to the bird I wanted to go a different route and give folks a choice... BEEF, it's what's for dinner!

This 4 pound beef rib eye roast was on sale last week.  Cheaper than hamburger.  I would probably normally just roast this in an oven but my oven space was at a premium.  So I used a gas grill, set it up for indirect heat (Burners on the sides were turned on medium heat while the center burners were left off.  This converted my grill to an oven with even convection heating.  I stabilized the temperature to about 375.  and it came out just fine.  I got busy and missed the temperature deadline for medium rare but this came out a wonderful 150 degree Medium cooked piece of meat.  I drizzled a little olive oil over the meat after I cut into it and it all worked just fine.

As to the Garlic...

LOTS of garlic.  I took 10 pieces of garlic and sliced them into thin thirds.  That's thirty pieces of garlic! I embedded these into the roast.  Just take a knife that is about the same size as the garlic pieces.  Poke deep enough so that the entire garlic piece will sit inside the meat.  If you are not a fan of garlic, these are large enough to pick out as you cut the finished slices.  BUT, the garlic roasted along with the meat juices makes for an incredible taste.



Next I coated the roast with a layer of Dijon Mustard.  The wet helps to keep the roast moist and most important, it gives the rub something to hold onto.  While it cooks it makes a simply delicious bark.  I made a simple rub of about equal parts...

Dried Garlic Flakes
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Slightly crushed Peppercorns
Sea Salt
Black and White Pepper



Mix this all together and then rub the meat.  NOTE: This is a rub, not a sprinkle.  Bub this into the mustard,  Pay particular attention to the holes that the you made with the garlic.  This forms a bark, which helps to hold in all the juices that might have leaked out during the slow roasting grilling.



Allow the meat to rest and come to close to room temperature before you begin cooking.  About an hour.  This also helps to allow the spices and especially the salt to help absorb all of those flavors of the rub and mustard to absorb into the top layer of the meat.

I cooked this on my grill, indirect heat, (Almost like smoking on a grill, Coals or burners on each side of the meat turned to medium.  Burners or coals directly under the meat off (or clear of coals).  The Grill temperature close to the meat was about 375 degrees.


OK... Here's what I did...


30 Garlic Peppercorn Beef Roast


Ingredients
  • 1 Large (4 Pounds) Rib Eye Beef Roast
  • 30 Cloves of Garlic, Peeled and each piece sliced into thirds
  • 1 Cup Dijon Mustard
  • 2 TBS Dried Garlic Flakes
  • 2 TBS Garlic Powder
  • 2 TBS Onion Powder
  • 2 TBS Cracked peppercorns
  • 2 TBS Sea Salt
  • 2 TBS White Pepper
  • Drizzle of Olive Oil
Cooking Directions
  1. Cut thirty slits @1-1/2 inch deep, 1/2 an inch wide evenly spaced, top bottom and all sides of a 4 pound beef roast
  2. Slather the mustard for a wet rub all around the garlic roast.
  3. Mix all of the spices together. Sprinkle this "rub" onto the mustard to form the outer bark as the roast cooks.
  4. I cooked my roast indirect heat on a gas grill. Temperature inside the grill was about 375 degrees, cooked for 2-1/2 hours for an internal temperature of 150 degrees, meat was medium.
  5. OR... Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Cook roast for 2 hours to an internal temperature of 135 degrees (medium Well)
  6. Allow the meat to rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Slice thin for most tender texture.
  7. Drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil for extra moisture
  8. Serve Warm and ENJOY!!!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" or "52 Ways to Cook BBQ and Grilling Recipes"!!!

Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons.  Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment