Thursday, July 14, 2011

Strawberry Jam


I had a batch of strawberries that were about to go bad.  I have been all about trying my best not to throw food away, so what to do...

 What to do????


Making jam is just so easy.  And fast and in small batches (like trying to use up a bit of fruit before it goes south on ya) and a tasty treat!

I made this during the time it took me to do the dishes from the night before...

Here's what I did...

I ended up with about 2 cups of strawberries, diced to about the size of quarters and sliced into @1/4 inch thick.

Popped those in a small sautee pan over medium heat.  

I added 1/3rd of a cup of sugar and did that TV chef thing of flipping them to coat.  If you are afraid of sugary strawberries on the floor, buy a dog or stir with a silicone spatula or spoon.

As this heats, you will see liquid start to appear!  Like Magic!  But, I had a plan (more on that later) and wanted a thin jam, something pourable.  So I added ... 1/4 cup of Cointreau!  Yeah, that orange flavored liqueur!

Simmer this for about 10-15 minutes, until the juice starts to reduce.

Pop it all in a blender, mini chopper or food processor and pulse only a few times.  You want it thick, with bits of fruit floating.


Like this!

Makes one heck of a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich for lunch...


And when your hard working wife gets home from her inconvenient day job on one of those 95 degree summer days...


Ice cream and a topping of fresh made strawberry Jam is almost as good as sending roses to work.

Come see some terrific ideas for summer treatsy. There have been LOTS of submissions, just perfect for the HOT DAYS ahead!
You can find this recipe on eRecipeCards.com.  


And if you think you want to try this again in a few weeks, you can easily store the recipe in an electronic recipe box you set up, you control and only you see.  It's a great feature that lets you store all those amazing recipes you see on the internet.


5 comments:

  1. who on this earth doesn't love strawberry jam???
    it looks MEGAAAA AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love strawberries jam!! look amazing, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of these days I'm going to make my own jam. And I can only hope it will look as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some berries in the fridge and you just gave me an idea. Haven't visited in a while...busy as hell, but always take time out to shout Hello!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something I've never tried, making my own jam. I bet it tastes so much better than from a jar.

    ReplyDelete