Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Peach Ice Cream



Talk about your DOG DAYS OF SUMMER...


Sigh...


It's hot, just too dang hot!


So let's make ice cream.


And here's an odd product endorsement.  In actuality, it's a hobby endorsement.  I am cheap.  Really cheap.  So cheap that my wife and I enjoy garage sale-ing as a hobby.  Sometimes it's just a driveway full of other people's useless crap.


Sometimes it's a brand new in the box RIVAL GOURMET CREAMERY brand new (young married couple selling their wedding gifts).


So, for $2, I now own a table top ice cram maker.  Why not, could be fun and I have certainly spent $2 in worse ways.


This is my first attempt and I LOVE IT!  No mess, not much fuss and really smooth, delicious ice cream!


And now, my mind is racing with the possibilities.  Only slight drawback is this is small, only makes about a quart.  But that's ok, my fat ass doesn't need too much of this treat hanging around.  Would interfere with my rice cake intake.


But i digress...


Here's what I did...


First, I Caramelized some peach bits...


Took one peach, skinned it and diced into quarter sized pieces.
Put them in a small sautee pan, 
added the juice and zest from one lemon.
added 1/2 cup of sugar 
and stirred until well mixed and liquid appears magically (only takes a few minutes, and the liquid doubles).
Allow a slow simmer for about 15 minutes.  the peaches get soft and the liquid turns a caramel colored brown...


Like this...




While I was doing that, I also was making ice cream...


1/2 cup Sugar
dash Salt
1 Egg beaten
1 cup Whipping Cream
2 tsp Vanilla 



  • Combine sugar salt and milk in a saucepan, cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until mixture almost boils.  
  • Reduce heat to low.  VERY gradually, add a couple of TBS of the hot milk to the beaten egg.  DO NOT add the egg to the milk, add in a separate cold bowl.  You want to mix without the hot milk cooking the egg.  Add a couple more TBS (about half the milk) to the eggy milk.  Keep whisking as you add.  Now, you can add this to the hot milk remaining in the hot pan.  Keep whisking to mix well.
  • Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
  • remove from heat and refrigerate for at least a couple hours.
  • Combine whipping cream, vanilla and chilled mixture, stirring with a wire whisk to combine.
  • Pour into the $2 ice cream maker and follow their directions.
Now, there are several ways to combine the fruit and the ice cream.  I took about half of the fruit and added it in during the last minute of the process.  

I have plans for the other half that I will talk about later.

but, in the mean time...

WHOOP DE DOO, this was wonderful.

I laugh in the face of 100 degree days.  I own a table top ice cream maker!





...

5 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than peach ice cream in the summer.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to put my ice cream maker to more use! this looks delicious and so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang it Dave, you're killin' me. Looks outstanding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I was just feeling good about myself for getting my new ice cream maker with a 20% coupon from Bed, Bath and Beyond. My old ice cream maker went belly up, so I'm now sporting a brand enw Cuisinart. I love making home made ice cream. The flavor is wonderful. And I always use a custard based recipe. I just made lemon ice cream ... omg. But I still rate last year's peach ice cream as my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a similar Cuisinart model that I got as a present and love it. Way easier than the old hand crank ones, right?

    ReplyDelete