Saturday, December 4, 2010

Turkey Leftovers - Turkey Shepherd's Pie (Cottage Pie actually)




It was a traditional Thanksgiving around our place.  And with all the visiting family, not a lot of leftovers.  Which is a shame, because except for that one special meal, turkey is better when it is an accent to other dishes.  A moist succulent turkey on "the day" can dry out to a hideous stringy  lump in just a couple days in the fridge.


So, the trick of re-moisturizing, while getting a nice hot meal is your goal.


 Update on Jackie... She missed a full week of work, which she has not done as long as I have known her.  But she is on the mend.  Still a scratchy throat so I get to enjoy her George Burns impressions, but the fever is gone and she had the energy to take a bath yesterday (hooray!).


Sure, she got a couple of prescriptions, but I am still going to credit my potato/provolone soup for her recovery.


Which is actually where the last of the leftovers ended up...


Jackie was up to mostly solid food.


I had a bit of soup leftover and a bit of turkey left over.


Little turkey for the base, top with the soup.  Remember, LOTS of potatoes in the soup, so the liquid is soaked into the turkey and you have a quick easy dish.


Better than antibiotics.


But before that, I got to make my new favorite recipe for leftover bird...


Cottage pie 


Now, just to be nit picky, most folks (including me) will call this a shepherds' pie.  But those should have lamb as an ingredient.  The more general term of cottage pie fits better for this recipe.


Here's what I did...


4 cup leftover Turkey
4 cup leftover Mashed Potatoes
1 can Creamed Corn
1/2 cup diced Red Onions
2 TBS freshly grated Cheddar Cheese

  • Mix the turkey , corn and onion together and layer the mixture in the bottom of an oven safe bowl.
  • Top with the mashed potatoes
  • Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for @30 minutes

It's the sweet corn that makes this so tasty!


Thanks to heather from  Girlichef who originally showed me this fast easy leftover dish!


...

9 comments:

  1. This is a good idea, this look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love shepherds, or cottage, pie and never thought of using turkey - but I will next time - great idea and yours looks delicious. Does Jackie read your blog? - Bev would kill me in my sleep if I posted a sick bed picture of her :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great way to use the turkey leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great and easy way to kill off a bird. Nicely done. I'm glad that Jackie is feeling better. It's a terrible time of year to be sick. Take care and blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, good idea! I think I'll make this version next year...since yes, the turkey is long gone by now! Seriously, how can you go long with a delicious _____ Pie (insert whichever name floats yer boat, I suppose)!? I hope Jackie's ick goes away soon!!! And thanks for the shout-out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this recipe. Wish I had seen it before dumping all those leftover mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ate Thanksgiving dinner at my daughter's home. So I have no leftovers to work with. I'm thinking of making a turkey.... just to have the leftovers. Bookmarking this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I always call it Shepard's pie too - great idea to use turkey. Glad to hear that Jackie's on the mend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa (ninjiom-hk.cwahi.net) may be another choice. i know alot of people use it, its also non alcoholic, though it's effectiveness is not as good as alcohol based cough medicine, but it's still good to use on not so serious scratchy throat.

    ReplyDelete