Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Blue Lagoon Pizza - Blue Cheese Burger - A tribute to warmer days!



It's hard to believe when I walk out my door to get my paper just 20 yards away that I have to bundle up, hat scarf and gloves.  Even then, it is almost painful to take the few breaths I need between here and there.  But just a few months ago, I was warm.  I could walk out my door, and those same 20 yards were all that separated me from the beach.




I remember being warm once... seems like a lifetime ago. 


But in addition to sun and sand and surf, St Thomas had Duffy's Love Shack, our favorite local hangout.




It's just a divey little bar in the middle of a parking lot.  Open air, cases of beer stacked in the corners, but the best tropical drinks and the best juke box on the island.  Anytime we were lucky enough to have guests from home, Duffy's was on the "Must See" list!




And not the least reason was the food.  Take a peak in their tiny kitchen (had to see it to find the bathroom), and you will be amazed at the variety of food they serve.  But I always skipped over the "flaming pu-pu" platters and "Tamarind honey ribs" and even the "Love City Lobster Rolls" in favor of the best hamburger I have ever eaten (outside of my backyard).  


So last night I decided to treat Jackie to a remembrance of the different world we shared for 6 months.  With a pizza made in tribute to our days of being warm.


I give you...


THE BLUE LAGOON PIZZA!




Crust, pre-made or make your own
Tomatoes thinly sliced
5 strips of Bacon, chopped and fried into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 pound Hamburger, browned and drained of grease
1/2 Onion,cut in half and sliced, with the half rings separated
and grilled in 1 TBS of Butter

3 ounces Blue Cheese, melted into a sauce with a splash of Heavy Cream
6 slices of Provolone Cheese
a few splashes of Olive Oil
a sprinkling of fresh herbs such as Oregano, Chives, Thyme, whatever you like.
(I use my own mix of "Not Your Grandmother's Herbes de Provence")




  • Preheat oven and pizza stone (or heavy baking sheet) to 450 degrees for at least 30 minutes.


  • Roll your crust out on parchment paper to your likeness... Thin, Chewy or thick like a bread.


  • Brush Olive oil around the edges to get a beautiful Golden Brown and Delicious looking crust.


  • Line the bottom with bacon, evenly distributed


  • Top with the Hamburger, evenly distributed


  • Add the onions, evenly distributed


  • Drizzle the Blue Cheese sauce (evenly distributed) over the top


  • top with the Provolone Cheese


  • Sprinkle herbs over the cheese.


  • Add the tomato slices, evenly distributed


  • Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cheese starts to bubble and get that baked color.





  • Enjoy and think warm thought.  You may be just a phone call away from spending six months in a tropical paradise...




    And just in case you do, stop at Duffy's.  I recommend the Burgers.


    ...

    5 comments:

    1. I am constantly cold these days, so I could use any kind of throwback to a warmer life in a warmer climate. Even if it's YOUR throwback and not mine haha. This pizza looks fantastic!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh my gosh, that pizza looks amazing. We were supposed to have pizza last night and then no one wanted pizza, but me, so we didn't get any. And I'm still in pizza craving mode, and this shows up!

      ReplyDelete
    3. It was 24 degrees, here, this morning, so I know what you mean! So much for global warming! This pizza looks absolutely sinful and I would love to be at Duffy's right now, eating a burger! Stay warm, cher!

      ReplyDelete
    4. What were we thinking when we moved from the Bahamas to the mountains of NC? We must have been crazy or had too much rum and it screwed up our brains.

      Stay warm Dave and enjoy that yummy pizaa.
      Sam

      ReplyDelete
    5. Ya'll never had snow in St. Thomas? ha ha

      I like your deconstructed burger pizza. The blue cheese on a pizza is enticing me.

      ReplyDelete