Friday, May 9, 2014

Cowboy BBQ Pork and Beans Quick and Sweet - 52 Side Dishes from the Grill


While I have more than enough recipes for more complicated complex BBQ Bean recipes, this by far is the easiest.  Just barely more complicated than opening a can of pork and beans and heating.  But the pay off for the tiny amount of extra work more than makes up for the little mixing you need to do.

I prefer to grill my beans.  It adds a nice bit of humidity to the inside of the grill, helping to make sure whatever you are grilling does not dry out.

Recently my store had a sale I just could not pass up... Van de Camps Pork and beans for 5 cans for a dollar.  Ordinarily I am a Bush's brand man myself, but really... 20 cents a can... Who wouldn't???

So, this is my dressed up version of an inexpensive can of beans.  Add a bit of this and a touch of that and they came out WONDERFUL!  I made these on a grill, but just as easy on the stove top, Crock Pot or in the Oven.


OK... Here's what I did...


BBQ Pork and Beans Quick and Sweet


Ingredients
  • 1 Large Onion, Diced
  • 2 (16 Oz) Cans Pork and Beans
  • 3 TBS Yellow Mustard
  • 1/4 Cup Molasses
  • 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 4 TBS Your Favorite BBQ Sauce
  • 1/2 Pound Bacon, cut into pieces
  • Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon
Cooking Directions
  1. Couldn't be easier...
  2. Big Dutch Oven
  3. Cook the bacon until just done, drain fat.
  4. Add everything else
  5. Mix everything
  6. Heat... Serve
  7. In a conventional oven, 350 degrees uncovered for about 20 minutes to desired consistency. In a grill or on stovetop, uncovered over direct heat for about 20 minutes to desired consistency.
  8. Serve HOT and ENJOY!


***************************************************
My good Blogging buddy Larry has been RVing around the country and stopped by our little corner of the Universe.  I used the occasion of his visit to throw a Bobby Flay style BBQ Addiction Whoop de Doo with...


Fish, Fowl, Hoof, Larry, Snout and Fish!  

First up, the Fowl, that's a BBQ Turkey, brined and injected with Cajun Butter and Glazed with that Jack Daniel's Whiskey BBQ Sauce.
Second is the Hoof, a 30 Garlic Peppercorn Beef Roast.
Third is Larry hisself!
These Sweet Cherry Baby Back ribs are second from the right 
And last but not least... the Fish is an absolutely amazing Cranberry Walnut sauce Sugar Cured Whole Salmon Filet.

But even Larry does not travel 4,000 miles in a rolling Studio Apartment on Meat alone... Come back all this next week for my side dishes, desserts to go along with all that meat.

I started with a spectacular presentation of a simple Jell-o salad (Dessert???).  Just a little extra effort and I had Stained Glass Jell-O, worthy of any Church PotLuck.

And then I whipped up a quick and easy faux Succotash (no Lima Beans) of corn and tomato relish (salsa, or... well, why not go ahead and call  it a Succotash!) that added bright colors and a unique combination of tastes (and only takes about 10 minutes to make)!

I did serve two kinds of potatoes, not only these, but I also WHIPPED up what I consider the world's BEST Garlic Mashed Potatoes.  These have it all... BACON, Garlic, A secret ingredient that leaves them with a hint of natural sweetness.  They are creamy yet still have a little bit of texture lumps.  I like a few  skin on potatoes so there are bits of red potato skins for color, texture and health. Making mashed potatoes for any group is always tough as people like what they like and question why anyone would make something new.  But for me at least... BEST EVER GARLIC MASHED POTATOES!


For that second potato dish ( Mostly I like the look of the presentation of a big beef roast resting on a bed of)...
Garlic Green Beans, Red Potato warm Potato Salad!  Makes a beautiful presentation and loaded with flavors (and adds another vegetable to the table.

We are getting close to the end of my "Feeding Larry" series.

But I did want to remind you all of the AMAZING Mac and Cheese... Flavored with a package of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing seasoning packet, this is about my very favorite.  Fast and Easy Ranch Mac and Cheese, can be made a day in advance, served warm or cold... A PERFECT Side Dish for any occasion!

I also jumped the Thanksgiving gun a bit with a Chorizo Sausage and Apple Dressing (never Stuffing) to pair with that Turkey.

... 12 Dishes and still rolling along.  See you tomorrow when I start on the desserts!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" or "52 Ways to Cook BBQ and Grilling Recipes"!!!

Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons.  Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment