Sunday, January 16, 2011

Single Serving KooKoo (you may know it as a FRITTATA)


Recently in a post over at Slim Shoppin's Blog, I had a one sided conversation with Jenn that got me thinking about Egg dishes.  Just what is the difference between a Souffle, an Omelet and a Frittata???  After a bit of research, reading a couple dozen different recipes, looking over more than 100 photos, I can now clearly define the difference...


Well, not really.  Mostly, there are just minor differences.  A souffle is only baked, an omelet is rarely baked.  A frittata is started on the stove top like an omelet, but finished in the oven like a souffle.  A souffle has whipped egg whites that give that airy taste.  An omelet has beaten eggs, mixed but not whipped.  The frittata has whipped whole eggs that give it a much more airy light texture than an omelet (but not as airy as a souffle).


So, after all that research, I've pretty much decided that a frittata is a souffle that didn't rise much, or a puffed up omelet.


And in Iran, a frittat is called a kookoo.  I like that name better.


And before I get to the recipe, let me rant for a minute...  What's up with the price of bell peppers??? $1.50 each??? Since when and why???  Well, I refuse.  No bell peppers for me, I will be using the far cheaper Poblano Peppers for me.  Mild in taste (like the bell peppers), a deeper forest green color, and texture just about the same.  I bought 2 nice ones, about the same size as 2 bell peppers, for 75 cents.  And if a bell pepper is $1.50, how can McDonald's sell a double cheeseburger for a dollar.  Something is up.


OK, here's the recipe...


This recipe is for a single serve Frittata, done in a Corningware dish.  I melted the butter in the dish, on the stovetop, also did a quick cook of the bottom with the burners set on lo/medium.  No need to use a frying pan for this if doing a single serve.


3 large eggs
1 TBS heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 small onion, diced

Equal amount sliced into slivers, Poblano Pepper
1 slice of Prosciutto Ham
1 TBS grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for finishing top
1/4 cup sour cream, for finishing

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, Gruyere cheese, salt, and pepper until foamy. Melt butter in a single serve corningware dish over medium heat. Add the onion and pepper and cook thoroughly. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Pull the edges away from the sides of the pan with a spatula so the eggs flow to the bottom of the pan. When the frittata is half set, add the ham.

Transfer the pan to the heated oven. Bake for 10 minutes until puffed and golden. Shower with grated Parmesan and add sour cream if you like!

And baked eggs, tender, and fluffy swimming in butter are such a treat!

7 comments:

  1. Dude I WISH bell peppers were that cheap. I think red bell peppers here are like 3.99 a pound. Although at the farmer's market, I think they're a bit cheaper. I try to avoid buying them unless it's specifically bell pepper season.

    Thanks for the clarification on souffle v. omelet v. frittata. I've always wondered...

    And kookoo is a way better name for frittata. This kookoo that you've got here? Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a single serve frittata - or kookoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your definitions work for me and the dish looks delicious. We grow our own, but you could do this as well. Bell peppers lose there crispness when frozen, so not good for salad, but they work just fine in cooked dishes. Buy them when they are cheap, cut into the size you like (we do a wide julienne), freeze on a jelly roll pan, put in bags (vacuum sealed if you have one), and toss in the freezer. When needed, since the pieces were individually frozen, just get out the amount you need and put the rest back in the freezer. Works great for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love frittatas when we have company. I just slice them like a pizza and serve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer KooKoo's actually ;o) Yours looks delicious, and thanks for the info distinguishing the differences.
    I don't eat bell peppers, only chilies. But you are right on the high coat... something is up. I grow my own chilies. But my mother in law grows the bell peppers for anyone in the family who wants em. That's why I don't understand the high price they are SO easy to grow!

    Take Care There :0)
    Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lucked out this week - my store had both green AND red peppers for .69 cents a pound - score!

    Love your kookoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought of serving individual kookoos. It looks so tasty like that.

    ReplyDelete