Saturday, August 21, 2010

Wasting Away in Strawberry Jell-O Shot Margaritaville



"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
But I know, It's my own damn fault"


Actually, there was a woman to blame for these.  It was the anniversary of my friend and neighbor's 29th birthday.  I was to provide the treats.  Sure, I made a cake...


A 4 tier red velvet cake thank you very much, but that's a post for tomorrow.  


Today, my specific instructions were to make treats for the party.  Jackie insisted that I make the cake, which was fine, but I had the most beautiful strawberries from my trip to the Farmer's Market (are you counting... fifth post in a row of pretty good stuff inspired by the market).  So, I made the cake to make Jackie happy, but these were the hit of the party.  Well, the first 20 minutes of the party anyway.




I found this recipe on the Kimberly Belle - Food Maven blog.  She tells a wonderful story about her history with jell-o.  But you'll have to hit the link to read her story.


But here's what I came up with from her inspiration...


  • 3/4 pints Strawberries (hulled)
  • 1 bunch Basil
  • 4 cup Water
  • Lime Juice from 1 fresh Lime
  • 2 envelopes Knox Gelatin
  • generous 1/3 cup Tequila
  • 1/4 cup Cointreau
  • 1/4 cup Sugar
  • Fleur de sel (a brand of large grind salt.  Makes em look really pretty)

Make sure the tequila and Cointreau are well chilled in the freezer. Puree the heck out of the strawberries, so even the seeds get pureed as best you can. Add enough water to the berries to make a total of a little over 1 cup of liquid. Boil the lime juice, strawberries and water. Mix the gelatin with the sugar, and then slowly stir it into the boiling juices. Allow to cool to room temperature. Add the tequila and Cointreau. Pour into a baking pan, top with the basil leaves, and chill for 1 hour. Sprinkle with fleur de sel mixed with lime zest and chill overnight. Slice in the morning and serve.


I do love the instruction to serve in the morning.  Well, celebrate the kids going back to school anyway you chose.




Have a great weekend everyone, I have to go hunt down my lost shaker of salt.


...

4 comments:

  1. And with the strawberries in there, it has got to be good for you. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those things look fabulous. Can't wait to hear about that cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some great looking jello shots and I could go for one of those right about NOW!

    ReplyDelete