Thursday, October 1, 2009

Praise and Thanks to - COOKING DUNKIN STYLE

Hello, Hello, Hello...

I have a new follower... And she is terrific. But before i introduce you to her, I need to add an additional story to yesterday's blog posting about my 100th post (honest, real food content is coming later today).

I guess my theory of conversational style writing coming from sitting around a mental table with three blog buddies has a flaw. I forgot a story I meant to include in my 100th post, but fits well with my series on bloggers. It's a funny story that would have left reader's smiling at the end of my post. It involves a blogging buddy, illness, me getting a punch from my wife (you women ought to like that part), God and snickering in Church. It's a good story I wish was in yesterday's post, but in my rush to make sure all my link's work, I forgot (and maybe I can blame those three mental bloggers for not reminding me (Bad voices in my head, bad, bad...)). But I digress...

Here's what I forgot happened...

Recently I included OPINIONS & RECTUMS, WE ALL GOT ONE! in my "Praise and Thanks to" series honoring bloggers who chose to follow me. As I said, he has a terrific blog, a wicked sense of humor and is among my favorite blogs. In that spirit of wicked sense of humor, I am going to assume that he will not be insulted that I have just not gotten in the habit of calling him by his name. I got to know him as "OPINIONS AND RECTUMS", but that is just a little too long. Once he started making comments, his comment name comes up as "BUFFALODICK". But that happened after I had already locked a mental name in my head, so I wasn't calling him that either (but remember that name when I finally get to the point of the story). Well, sad to say, I just started mentally calling him ... well, sorry, but I just started calling him "Asshole" in my head. In my defense, what did you think when you read "Opinions and Rectums". I bet most of you thought the same thing. It was not meant as an insult, just a shorthand way of saying his name when I saw the longer version, or his avatar. I am not proud of it, and it is in no way a reflection on the quality of his blog (which I enjoy a lot)... It's just a way that I can quickly mentally file everything I read from and about my blog buddy that you may know as Buffalodick or Opinions and Rectums, but I will always think of as... well, no need to repeat the vulgar name, you get the ideas.

OK, one more little back story before I get to my wife slugging me (the part you ladies are waiting for). Buffalodick is currently blogging about his root canal. It hurts. I feel awful for him. For whatever reason, his plight stuck in my head over the weekend.

And now, finally, you know enough to appreciate this story (and we are going to get to the violence)...

Sunday morning, Mrs. MyYearontheGrill and I went to Mass. If you haven't been since you were a kid, give it a shot sometime. It is a great way to clear your head, and a bonus if you are Catholic, that hour is something you can just veg out and not really pay attention, too much repetition.

But, unfortunately, I paid attention this Sunday. When we got to the part where the priest asked us to say a silent prayer for those sick and suffering, I could not stop thinking of my new blogging buddy. So, I remembered the ritual, and started saying my prayer for his health and to have his suffering eased. But when i got to the part where I asked Jesus to ease the pain of (insert name here), I mentally and silently did not call him "Opinions and Rectums" (which would have been only a little bad), I didn't even think to pray for "Buffalodick" (a bit worse), but I sailed right through asking Jesus to ease the pain of my new buddy, "asshole". And then, if you will excuse the expression, all heck broke loose.

First, I just snickered. I could feel my wife tense up, and I was sure she lifted her head and gave me "the look" (guys, you know what I am talking about). Well, the mental knowing I was getting "the look" made it worse. I then started imagining that I was going to have to explain to my wife that I snickered because I was praying for a**hole. SO, I couldn't help it, I guffawed and actually snorted. Heads turned, prayers were interrupted and I kept my head bowed and hoped it was done. It wasn't. A third splutter of sound came out. That odd sound, a full laugh that is held back by desperately trying to not laugh, locking your lips closed and not being able to control the laugh. It was at that point that the physical violence happened and my arm is still sore. In most states, a man would be tossed in jail, but my wife got a knowing and approving look from the priest as he ended our 60 seconds of silent prayer in less than 30 seconds.

In my heart, I suspect Jesus has a sense of humor. he knows I meant no disrespect, and he knows that my prayer for A**H**E was heartfelt. If you have ever had a root canal, you know that those afflicted could certainly use our prayers. Buffalodick had (and has) mine. He hasn't blogged yet, so I don't know if he still has pain issues. SO maybe you all can join me in a silent prayer for A*****E... Do it, and I bet you at least smile while you say it, and if you have no control of your body you will snicker too.

********************************
But I am digressing again. Here's the main portion of this post... I HAVE A NEW FOLLOWER (you all know those little pictures at the top of the middle column). I love followers (you may even be in my prayers). They are the fuel that gives me energy, and with each follower, I try just a little harder.

COOKING DUNKIN STYLE is my latest to join my little cult. You can find her blog by clicking HERE. Just to prove my theory that most food bloggers are cat people, she has a dog that she uses for her avatar, named BELLA. Could be a Pug, could be a boxer, could be I am not enough of a dog person to know exactly what breed, but animal lovers are special people (even dogs). Cheryl runs the blog, lives in Beaverton, Oregon and gets help with her photos from her husband. Here's another blog idea, "does blogging together make a closer couple?". It is always great to hear about couples doing things together.

I Like finding odd little quirky things about my blog buddies. Cheryl lists Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill and Anything Shoot Em Up as her favorite movies. Don't know what that means, just helps lock that mental image in. It also gives me the image of her giggling uncontrollably about my story of my wife slugging me in church. But I digress... She has been blogging for 2 and a half years.Her current post features a wicked great sounding pumpkin swirl cheesecake (that I am planning on using for my neighborhood chili cook off dessert entry). She is currently running a give away contest for a cooking sauce that I hope none of you click HERE to go to. If none of you click HERE, and none of you just simply leave a comment on the post by the end of the week, I will have a better chance of winning. SO, please resist clicking HERE.

And here's another little quirk I found... In her labels section, she has blogged 46 times about desserts. That is not uncommon, many of you all create amazing desserts that are worthy of being blogged about. But her second most popular food category is breakfast. Start your day and end your day with Cheryl.

She does grill on occasion, with recipes for grilled pizza (that looks amazing), Lime garlic shrimp and a wonderfully simple but very tasty sounding Mexican Pork Chop with a salsa marinade that i also will be stealing soon.

She is my kind of cook, doesn't measure much, cooks to taste, and cooks mostly family friendly fare. From Coffee/Chocolate Popsicles (be stealing those next summer) to Cocktails to soups and sandwiches, I feel that she blogs recipes that I want to try. Nothing complicate, no weird ingredients I have never heard of, but recipes for real people that have to put something on the table every night, but wants to do it with style. I intend to check back with her often. Thanks for finding me COOKIN DUNKIN STYLE!

*****************
I have said it before, and I will say it again... I LOVE Blogging and Bloggers. Having followers is a great way to let me know that you are out there. My blog improves with each new follower. I feel a connection, as well as an obligation to be witty, entertaining, informative, accurate and consistent. Knowing that I am being looked at makes me a better blogger and I hope you will be patient as I continue to improve. Looking at all these terrific sites shows me how far I have to come, but gives me great ideas from everyone!

Take a look at these guys. If you like what they have to say, come back for more. Drop em a note (comment) of encouragement. Newer bloggers need to know someone is out there, and older bloggers need fresh blood to feed on, let em know you were directed to their site from me and you may make a new cyber friend too.

And if you regularly check in on me, go ahead and join my followers list/ Plug me in your blogroll and let me know you are there. I want to see what you are all about too...

R, CAG and G... Good Talk

8 comments:

  1. That is a funny story! If I had been in church with you, I'd have laughed and gotten us kicked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmygawd, I am laughing so hard... and damn you, you know that hurts my back!

    I'm going to have to read this again. It's like watching a funny movie, you're laughing so hard that you need to rewind because you missed another funny part.

    Blood AND lamb!!! Boy are you going to be in trouble with Peta.

    I think it's Boston Terrier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buffalo Dick "The Damned To Eternity" here.. I have not laughed so hard in years, and I laugh a lot! Next batch of tee- shirts-one will be yours! For what it's worth, God and I talk a lot..Well, He talks, and I pretend to listen..
    I have a condo on the 7th level of Hell, overlooking the Eternal Pit, currently being sub rented until I'm back.. I do His work like the CIA in America, undercover, and unappreciated... Funny, sunny stuff- my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is hilarious! I can just picture it as it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story; you told it well and I felt like I was there with you. I'd probably have whacked you upside the head, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. by the way, I refer to Buffalo Dick as BD. It's less aggitating that way. :D I'm going to add him to my blog roll and am still trying to decide how to list him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thank you for such a wonderful post, my cheeks are pink!
    p.s. Bella Sue is a baby Boston Terrier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha ha ha ha....I'm actually crying from laughing :D

    ReplyDelete