Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls


This is yet another leftover recipe... really.

Did you all catch my Peach Strudel post I did over at my sister blog...  Inspired by eRecipeCards???

Have you seen the fresh peaches showing up at the grocery store lately.... And CHEAP!  Sounded like strudel time to me.  Well, the strudel came out terrific.  But I planned ahead.  I made a double batch of the dough, planning on left overs.

So, early one Sunday morning, I woke early, sneaked out of the bed so as not to disturb the rest of my long suffering (her with the inconvenient day job) wife.  I took the spare ball of dough out of the fridge,  and did a quick warm up (kneaded by hand for about ten minutes to get the dough warm enough to work with, yet still cold enough to roll out.


Form into a rectangle about  1/12 foot wide, 1 foot tall.

Mise en Place a melted stick of butter
The cinnamon mix of 2 TBS Sugar, 1 TBS ground Cinnamon


Brush the butter over the entire dough surface.  As much as the dough will hold and sprinkle the sugar mixture over the butter... As much as you can with it all absorbing.

Moisten the far side of the dough (top edge in the photo) with more of the butter so that it sticks when you roll it up.

Starting at the bottom, evenly roll up the dough into a stick.

Slice the stick of sugared dough into about 1 to 1 1/2 inch circles... Like this...


Stand them up in a pie plate, allow to rise for about 30 minutes.  This dough is not a heavy yeast dough, but they did come rise a bot, adding about 50% of volume.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes (I like them a little dough and chewy, so underdone.  Feel free to bake for 15 minutes if you like.

While they are baking, take 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar, add a tbs of milk (more to get the thinner, less to get a thicker consistency) and stir into a drizzle.


And your long suffering spouse with those inconvenient day jobs can wake up to the smell of fresh made cinnamon rolls.

A pretty good use for leftovers... Be sure to check out my post on the Peach Strudel to get my recipe for the sweetened dough that I used.  Worked pretty good!

1 comment:

  1. Wait...I thought all cinnamon rolls came out of a can ;)

    These look great Dave. Especially since it is Sunday morning, early. Now if only I had dough in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete