Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fried Plantain Chips - The answer to Caribbean French Fries



Here's an oldie but a goodie around here.


Plantains... They look like bananas... They cook like sweet potatoes.


Lots of BBQ's being planned these days, and more than one is going to have a tropical theme.  These come together fast (only one ingredient plus frying oil), have an unexpected unique taste, and best of all, with a little za za zing added will satisfy the pickiest of eaters...


File:Bananavarieties.jpg


The plantain is the one on the left.


But they also look like this...





Around these parts, the green ones are called.... Green Plantains.  The yellow ones are called...


Can 


you


Guess


???


Nope, wrong... The yellow ones are called ripe plantains.  Much as you might think I want to cook with ripe plantains, for this recipe, we are going to use green ones.  They are very stiff, hard.  They will feel like a potato (and cook like one).  If you should happen to grab a ripe plantain, they are terrific in a little butter with sugar (caramelized).


But let's say you have a green one...


Just peal (not as easy as it sounds).  Slice off the two ends, cut into the peal and cut a slit the length of the fruit.  And work around till all the peal is released.  MUCH stiffer than a banana, but it will come off.


Next, slice into chips (you can also slice into French fry shapes).  Slice them fairly thin, about 1/4 inch thick.


Heat up some Canola Oil over medium heat, and dump the chips in...




It takes about 5 minutes for them to get fully cooked.  You don not want to crowd them, so I fry up just just the chips that come from one plantain at a time.  You can see them just start to turn brown around the edges.


Remove with a slotted spoon, dry them with a paper towel.  They will have a crispness, like a thick cut potato chip.  But the center will be soft and chewy like a baked potato.  A terrific contrast.


I do a quick egg wash with a beaten egg so the salt mixture will stick...


The lime zest Salt mixture is the key to set your chips apart.  It has a tropical zing and adds a wonderful look to the final dish...




Easy mix... Equal parts sea salt and zest from a lime.


Easy Peasy... but will make your party tropical themed party memorable.  These go great with burgers!
...

10 comments:

  1. I love fried plantains. They have to be my favorite thing to order at cuban restaurants. I could eat a plate or two all by myself. I would make them for a barbecue...but I fear they wouldn't make it out of my house without me eating all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy the green plantains and by the time I'm ready to use them they are too ripe. So then I end up sauteeing them in a little butter and drizzle molasses and ginger over them...mmmm.

    My husband loves plantain chips interesting with the lime zest! I try this. I bet they would be good with smokey chipotle chili powder sprinkled on it too. (my latest spice craze) Thanks for showing us how to do it. I'm going to buy the plantains right before...same day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to cook me up some plantains. Wanted to let you know that I added your button to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these. Used to have them at Jamaican restaurants all the time when I lived in New York. Question: Do you ever dip them in anything? Or do you just eat them straight?

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! I have these posted on my blog today, too! Great minds :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to eat some before trying to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I love Plantains any way I can get them! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never made these into chips before. Only as tostones (green-twice fried) or as platanos maduros (yellow/black-sweet). I've bought them for years in the bags in South Florida. Now I'll have to try and make my own since I can't find them up here in NC. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH WOW!!! my son and I were just talking about make some of these this weekend. THANKS!!! for the recipe.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to have to try the lime zest salt - sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete