Friday, January 15, 2010

OATMEAL SCOTCHIES - With a Chipotle Pepper Spice Kick!

Really, it's all there in the title, but I have photo proof just in case you don't believe me... AND IT WORKED!

This is my contribution to a "Mystery Ingredient - What Did you Bake Today Challenge". The challenge is hosted by Kristen from FRUGAL ANTICS OF A HARRIED HOMEMAKER. The "regulars" over at OUR KRAZY KITCHEN are all supposed to cook something with OATMEAL during the month for a January 29th roundup. I got this idea from a grilling class I took ages ago, where the instructor suggested that a 1/4 teaspoon of Chipotle Pepper added to a "sweet" recipe is too small an amount to overpower the sweet, but it will add an indefinable taste to the recipe that will set your dish apart from the masses.

So, armed with the plan to make a common recipe special, here's what I did...

The recipe I used is on the back of every bag of Nestle's butterscotch chips. I was planning to see if that small amount would make a difference, so I went with a classic.

I made the recipe exactly as printed, I just added ONLY 1/4 teaspoon of the chipotle spice.

The recipe made 4 dozen cookies. I passed some around the neighborhood. NO ONE noticed the pepper taste, but several people without prompting noticed that there was "something extra". I pressed, no one said it was unpleasant, everyone agreed that it added to the cookie. ME, I loved em. There are different types of taste buds in your mouth. The front of the tongue tastes sweet better than the back, and the back tastes spicy better. By adding such a small amount, you get the entire tongue having a little kick.

It takes a little bit of nerve to tamper with a classic. But I really do believe the combination of a tiny amount of spice (chipotle) added to a sweet dessert (in this case, the classic Scotchie) Made a subtle but BIG difference... It worked! I am now very excited to give this theory a try next time I make a chocolate cookie..
.

Even my wife's lazy good for nothing cat, Chang was excited to give em a try.

25 comments:

  1. Wow this is a seriously genius idea! Kind of like adding chili powder to chocolate. I am definitely going to have to try this! I need that experience of having all of my taste buds ignited at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those butterscotch chips are not my cup of tea... I use Heath bar bits in their place..

    ReplyDelete
  3. well... you know I love Oatmeal Scotchies... I posted them last month... your new twist is something I'll have to try...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if they're kitty cat approved, I will definitely give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound different, but delicious. I think my taste buds will be happy!

    This would be on the same level as adding chocolate to chili, I guess...just adding that something extra for enhanced flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, that's definitely "different". I never would have thought to add chipotle pepper to cookies. They do, however, look awfully good! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This gives me an idea on some toffee cookies i am making this weekend. I wonder if i could sneak this in on the homegirlz. Wonderful idea Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen something like that on Food TV, but never have tried it in real life

    I LOVE oatmeal scotchies, so I think I would make these and not tell my family and see what they say!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you are never afraid to change recipes. The results, especially in this case, are great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love this idea! i've had hot chocolate with chili powder, but never a cookie, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Chocolate is great with a little spice so why not butterscotch? I could go for one of these right now with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ho ho ho...this begs for a cup of cofee...I wish it was morning already..and I already had a long day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow cookies with chipotle? That sounds so crazy but I'm really interested in finding out how they taste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How original can you get! Brilliant idea and I wish that I had a few of those chipotle spiked cookies, right now! They look fab, cher!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Dave, I love sweet mixed with spice. I love spice! I bet it tastes great! Blessings to you and Jackie, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Funny that you call the cat Chang! I like the kick in the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute kitty!! I'd love to try one of those cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an interesting idea. I love oatmeal cookies. I'll have to give the Chipolte Chili Powder trick a try sometime. I have those same spice containers by the way. And I think it's so funny that you call Chang your wife's lazy good for nothing cat. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the idea, a bit of spice with something sweet is a winner in food and well with women too Id imagine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That whole tongue anatomy lesson gives me some new insight as to why I like my savory dishes sweet and spicy. I love how you add your own twist to recipes and make them your own.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an awesome idea!! I would love to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an awesome addition - I love your nerve! The whole sweet and spicy world will get a makeover before you're done with them.

    ReplyDelete