Monday, January 25, 2010

A MINOR ANNOUNCEMENT that will change my life forever

First up... The minor announcement -

I am leaving god's country (Kansas) I am moving to the
United States Virgin Islands
in about three weeks.
I just found this out for sure an hour ago,
so details to follow as we figure them out.
but the blog will continue. I still have to eat, even in paradise.


But, more important than my minor little life changing experience, THE NEW ORLEANS SAINTS ARE PLAYING IN THE SUPERBOWL. You know that Superbowl parties are being planned as we speak. And with a city with such a glorious history of food, the buffet is going to be centered around the glorious Cajun food of the area. I have made no secret of my love of the cuisine. I have made several posts of the food I have cooked (not the least was yesterday's 24,24,24 FOODBUZZ party post)! So, today's post is going to be an overview of all the things I have cooked with links. I will also add a few comments on how easy the dish is to make, and how appropriate for a party they would be.


DRINKS

SWEET TEA

It is NOT the same as your sun tea or regular tea with sugar added. Called the house wine of the south, Sweet Tea has a unique taste. My Blogging friend MARY from
Deep South Dish allowed me to guest post a terrific recipe, which you can find by clicking on the photograph to the left. Sweet tea would be a terrific choice to serve as a non-alcoholic beverage. It is a great authentic recipe, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.




Now this drink just screams NEW ORLEANS. 3 kinds of rum, pineapple and orange juice, they are very, very tasty. I like that they can be made in advance by the pitcher full. I also adjusted the recipe if you would like to make them one at a time. I change the classic recipe just a tad, by adding coconut rum instead of white rum. But the look is very authentic. If you rush out to Goodwill stores, you should be able to find Pat O'Brien hurricane style glasses to serve them in, but that is not necessary to the taste. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Again, Mary let me guest post this recipe on her site, Deep South Dish and you can find that recipe by clicking on the photo to the right


SAZERAC COCKTAIL

This is my favorite cocktail. When I am in New Orleans, I drink as many as I can in as many places as I can. they are rarely offered outside of the area. Very authentic, but honestly... Pick another drink. I don't really recommend them for a party. They are an acquired taste, VERY STRONG (@80% Rye Whiskey). NOT
RECOMMENDED for a party. For the recipe, click on the photo to the left.


SOUPS/APPETIZERS/SIDE DISHES

CREOLE SHRIMP AND ARTICHOKE SOUP

This is an amazing soup, rich, thick and filled with flavor. If you are having a sit down super prior to the game, I would highly recommend this soup. Honestly, nothing better. BUT, for most parties, I do not recommend soup. Too labor intensive, and is best served fresh. It just is not as good if you let it sit for awhile. I love it, but
NOT RECOMMENDED for a party. For the recipe, click on the photo to the left.


CAJUN SHRIMP

Now these little beauties can be served as is, or feel free to make some rice or risotto and serve them over that. I am cheating a little, as I am giving you a link to a recipe that calls for JERK spices. Just substitute one of the standard prepackaged Cajun spices sold in any store. Click the photo to the right to get to my post on shrimp! These are easy and fast to make. Have a distinctive and powerful taste.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for a party.


CAJUN CORN CASSEROLE

Any vegetarians coming to the party??? This is a great side dish recipe to have for them. And very easy. Just some corn muffin mix, corn and seasoning. Click the photo to the left to get to my original post. It may need a little dressing up to make it party worthy, maybe plate with a few of the Cajun shrimp, but it is important that you have a vegetarian option available for party goers, so HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Come back tomorrow and I will have a review of my Main courses and desserts...

I have a million things to do in the next few days, but I plan to keep posting each day...


and as a reminder...

I got my love of New Orleans from several vacations I have taken. This last year, I had such an incredible n ight of fun at Arnaud's restaurant. The good folks at Arnaud's are helping to make my party memorable with a give away... A copy of their cookbook. Double click the photo of the cover to the right to learn how to enter this wonderful freebie contest!

33 comments:

  1. Wow...talk about life changes!!! Lucky you! I would love to live somewhere that is always warm year round with beaches! My husband and son are thrilled the Saints won! Yeah! The dishes and drinks look terrific. We all love sweet tea! I also would love a dish or the artichoke and shrimp soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Congratulations on your upcoming move, how freaking cool is that! p.s. yesterdays game nearly killed me from stress, but I am so happy for the Saints!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I have to say LUCKY DUCK!!! That's awesome about your move!

    I was totally rooting for the Saints to win, it was a great game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh Wow!!!! My bike trip to visit you may have to change to a plane trip!!!! Congrats - can't wait to hear more about this "little" change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, number one for me anyways... GEAUX SAINTS!!!! I am so happy/excited/delighted that after all these years they have finally made it to the Superbowl!! After that game they sure earned it - I am hung over today and I did NOT even have a drink last night!!! That's just how stressed that game had me.

    And wow! The Virgin Islands??!!! How exciting for you. That's quite a life change my friend, but I have a feeling you'll adapt just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Congrats on your upcoming move!! I can't wait to read and see all of your amazing posts from paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Dave, from Kansas to the V.I. - you my not believe this, but some folks might even consider that an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good or Bad.... Life can change in an instant. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, congratulations! That sounds amazing. I can't wait to hear about the change. And, more importantly, congrats on the Cajun Superbowl party. (It sure beats a lutefisk fest.)

    I bet that even with the move, you miss one, maybe two days of blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the move! Can't wait to read about all the good cooking you're doing in the USVI. Which island is it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats!!! how lucky you are to be moving to paradise... maybe we will see you on HGTV's International House Hunters?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exciting! Hope it all goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!!!! Huge congratulations are in order!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun! I've never know a beach boy before :-). I hope you have a smooth move.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy for you Dave! I hope everything works out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a great move, I guess you can burn your winter jackets!

    As a Minnesota guy, it was hard to watch the Vikes lose (although I'm still anti-Favre), but if they had to lose to a team, I'd want it to be the Saints. Great city, great people, great food (and great post, BTW)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, thanks for posting on my blog.
    Wish you the best on your new life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the move - when I left Kansas I only got so far as Texas! Enjoy your Cajun feast; I can't wait to see what you'll be cookin up. Any crawfish po boys? Oh and I'm loving the sweet tea recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HOW NICE OF YOU TO INVITE US DOWN TO THE VIRGIN ISLANDS TO CELEBRATE OUR ANNIVERSARY. THANKS FOR HOSTING:) That is just absolutely awesome. What an adventure for you...can you tell that I am a tad bit jealous:) I have no idea why it is called Snake Bite breading. I think adding some heat would really be good...maybe some Emeril's Bayou Blast and dried ground chipotle? I like things spicy. Let's give it a try and see what happens. We spend our honeymoon in New Orleans and went back frequently until the grandchildren came along. Now we head north rather than south. We were just talking about a trip a few days ago. We won't make the Super Bowl, howeve. Can't wait to try that soup. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't wait to hear all about your move! How what where when why? How exciting! But I suppose you wont be coming to Arizona too soon then...
    Interesting way to make Sweet Tea I'll try it. My Mother in law from the south is here... she will give it the "southern taste test" for darn sure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dude! You are so lucky! Congrats. Great post. Wish I had a hurricane right now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Minor announcement? I'd say that's HUGE! Can't wait to hear the details.

    Hubby fell in love with sweet tea when he lived in Alabama. I can't wait to try this recipe for him.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! That is a big change and in such a short amount of time. I wish you the best and a smooth transition. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on your move, going to paradise how sweet is that! I can see you now grilling on the beach with a beer in one hand and grilling with the other! Can't to read the post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, can't wait to hear the details, you lucky dog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, oh, wow!! I am excited for you! Can't wait to hear all the wonderful details!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on the opportunity, but you're going to have to change your tagline to something other than "The suburban Cul de Sac is where it's at"... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Great move to warmer weather! Colts over Saints by 10....

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ruh oh scooby I am die hard Colts fan so this could interesting......

    Congrats on the move too. Actually if even New Orleans win I would not be sad because of Breese going to school at Purdue.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is so great Dave. You can keep that grill going full time now. I'm anxious to here the details. What will the cul de sac to without you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You were born with a horseshoe in your pocket, Dude! The Virgin Islands are one of the most beautiful places on earth. Very exciting news and just think, you'll be able to grill everyday, again! Congrats, cher!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Are Jackie and the cats going too? I'm shocked. How fabulous for you...What a great opportunity.

    I'm with you about the Saints. I really want them to win, but that Peyton Manning is pretty tough and really smart. Saints better study hard. I hope Buff is wrong.

    With all that said....guess I don't do as well with change as I thougt, but still can't wait to hear more. Hope you don't quit referring to Kansas as God's country. nuff said

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, what fabulous news!! I can't wait to read about all your adventures :) Your party looks like it was a huge hit too!

    ReplyDelete