Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cajun Shrimp on Toast with REMOULADE SAUCE



I want to thank you for the continued interest you are showing in CUL dE SAC CUISINE.  


It's coming along, progress is being made, but slow.  Still in the works, still will happen, still close, just making sure everything works before it opens up... Stay tuned, like I said... close.


But meanwhile... we have to eat!




This is one of those easy to make deals if you plan ahead.  I make a batch of remoulade sauce every couple of months.  


The secret is indeed in the sauce...


Remoulade is a French sauce.  The French version surrenders all the extra tastes and flavors that goes into the Creole sauce (I had to think for a few minutes to get the obvious "French and surrender" words in the same sentence).  The French sauce is a white sauce, closer to English tarter sauce.  Originally it was used as a condiment for a meat course.  It is primarily mayonnaise based.


But the Creole's experimented and came up with a spicier, tastier sauce.  It is most often served with shrimp.  Most often as the sauce to pair with a shrimp cocktail.

Like this...

Here's my recipe I use to make my own Remoulade sauce...

3 TBS spicy whole grain Mustard
3 TBS BBQ Sauce (can use ketchup)
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup chopped Green Onions
1/2 cup chopped Yellow Onion
1/2 cup chopped Celery
Juice of 2 Lemons
Zest from 1 Lemon
2 TBS Parsley
2 TBS prepared Horseradish
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper

I used a blender, you can use a food processor... Just add everything and process until mostly smooth... about 30 seconds.  You want small chunks of the vegetables in the goo, so do not over process.



Plenty of heat.  The cayenne pepper and the horseradish will power this sauce.


So useful.  Shrimp is the obvious use, but just about anything you would consider using mustard on, remoulade is a spicy alternative.  I am wetting my lips in anticipation of a remoulade encrusted pork loin ran through my smoker.  but that is a post for next month.





...

5 comments:

  1. This sauce would be really nice just as a dip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a tasty meal. I've become a big fan of remoulade and even use it as salad dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering just looking at it Dave! (although, don't be mad, I will leave out the onions!)

    Hope you and Jackie have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet the horseradish gives the shrimp a nice little bump of heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave, are you associated with a group called trap.it - just curious if this is the direction your beta testing has taken you. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete