Saturday, July 31, 2010

Salmon - Garlic Chipotle Spiced, Mango Glazed Salmon



Sweet and heat... The key to a beautiful balanced dish.



Remember these???


Mango Glazed Bacon ala Bobby Flay.



They are beautiful things on their own, and proved to be very useful...  PIZZA - Walnut Pesto with Mango Glazed Bacon Pizza.  AND Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops.  Certainly worthy of the bragging you have read.


But also, the glaze is a winner.  I started pondering what I could do with the little bit I had left over from the bacon.


Here's a quick reprint of the Glazing recipe...
Mango Glaze

1 cup Sugar
1 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 ripe Mango, pealed, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 TBS Honey
Salt and Pepper to taste


  1. Combine sugar and vinegar in a small sauce pan and cook over high heat until the sugar is melted.  Add the mango and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced by half and the mango is soft, 5 to 6 minutes.
  2. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process until smooth.  Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl.  Add the honey and season with the Salt and Pepper.
I had about 1/3rd cup of the glazing sauce left after I made a pound of bacon.  I also had a couple of nice pieces of Salmon.


the recipe is simple, 


2 pieces Salmon, about 6 oz each
1/3rd cup Mango Glaze Sauce
2 roasted cloves Garlic smashed and pureed
2 pinches Chipotle Pepper spice
Salt and Pepper to taste

  1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Line a baking pan with parchment paper, and lay the salmon on the sheets.
  3. Spread the Garlic on the fish and sprinkle the spice on the garlic
  4. Brush the Mango Glaze on the top
  5. bake for 10 minutes, until the fish flakes, but is still moist.
  6. Add a pinch of salt and some fresh cracked pepper



Oh my, sweet from the Mango.  But the back of your throat has that heat spice from the Chipotle.  Of course, roasted garlic has it's own taste that always blends well with the meaty fish  taste of the salmon.  Each bite has a total well rounded seasoning.  A little something for everyone!.


...

9 comments:

  1. I bet your mangoes in the island is heavenly! I just had dry, tasteless mango for breakfast, dislike! This mango glaze looks fantastic! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a mango-glazed salmon at a Cuban restaurant a few years ago and fell head over heels. You've somehow made me fall even harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your glaze looks and sounds wonderful. I can imagine how fantastic it must be on salmon. As an aside, try the bread if you have a mixer at your disposal. The whole wheat and all-purpose flour combine beautifully. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, this is officially my favorite of all the mango glazed food. LOVE this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice and the beauty of it is you can buy mangos in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, it is the chipolte pepper that I was seeing in the glaze. Those little flecks of red caught my eye and the salmon looks nice and flaky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delish Dave; I've been looking for something different for salmon, so I've bookmarked your recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lately I've gone nuts for anything with mangos. This I have to try!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I'd had a fork I would have eaten this right off the screen!

    ReplyDelete